Re: China is Coming: Observations from an Expert | In Depth

Ken Nelson

Dave, your experience backs up a lot of the things I've seen at a distance - very poorly made stuff coming over at first, then slowly getting better.  When I was an instructor at the Techshop in the SF bay  area starting around 2006 or thereabouts, this DIY startup for gearheads or anyone who wanted cheap access to industrial eqpt like lathes, mills, welders, anyone could join for about $100/mo, take short courses of maybe 3 hrs to learn the eqpt basics, then have access to the stuff 24/7.  This was about the time Harbor Freight tools started up, only everyone at this shop called it Hazard Fraught - which was partially true!   I actually had one of their variable speed right angle elec drills catch fire in my hands!  Took it apart & found the assembler - probably a 10 yr old kid - routed the hot wire NOT past the spacer pin molded inside the case, but on the opposite side, and in contact with the commutator!  As soon as the drill wore thru the insulation it turned into a spark/flamne generator!  So- I fixed the wire, reassembled and it's been working ever since.

I've also seen what I think of as inexcusable manufacturing errors - in products sold thru Home Despot!  But that was 20 yrs ago.  I'd certainly want a US rep covering anything I had over there if I did - only way to really know what's going on but even then all sorts of stuff could be going on behind the scenes.   Recently I saw some stories about Chinese buildings collapsing due to  shoddy construction and awful materials - did you hear anything like that from the expats?  However, after listening to Sandy I'll bet the Chinese have lifted the bar a whole lot in the intervening yrs - after all, they're sending all sorts of things into space and beyond.  Plus they've got a billion more minds working on things than we do - scary thought as to what they might be able to come up with.  Our only hope may be that guys like Elon keep moving so much faster than "traditional" competitive mfrs here that he'll outrun the Chinese car co's

Ken

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:43 PM Dave Smith <gornzilla@...> wrote:
Thanks for writing that, Ken! I love learning about things like this. I'm not an engineer and don't have that type of experience, but I love listening to engineers and designers talk about issues like this. I'll be watching the "Elon & Sandy: Design Philosophy Parallels" tonight and possibly some more of the Tesla tear downs. I watched the short ones from the first Model 3, a few of the Model Y (and the wrap up fo the Y), and several of the 2021 Model 3.

When I was working in China I met a few expats working for the local race circuit (Zhuhai). It was built for Formula One, but failed to meet FIA standards. It seems like every factory building for export (not just cars) had to have foreign supervision. An acquaintance was there supervising the building of an oil refinery for a massive American oil company. It was a lot of work to train and try to convince why minimal standards had to be met, and it was a battle to maintain. They were shocked at how low Chinese management was trying to go.

It was a topic at the expat bars with foreigners from around the world who were in supervisory factory roles if the difficulty of meeting minimal standards is an effect from the Cultural Revolution. Maybe that's what is keeping China from taking over the world, but if they solve that it'll be massive.

-Dave