Re: VW 147

Lou

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for confirmation about Postal vehicle.
I notice it has louvers under front fenders for air
conditioning.   It also appears to have room for
many more gauges than my square back.
        Thanks,            Lou

On 8/3/2021 12:57 PM, Matthew Spielberg wrote:

VW made for the postal service, used in Germany and by the Swiss.

18th of March 2005

The English website is done!

For our international visitors the website is now usable even without online translation or dictionaries : www.vw-fridolin-ig.de/en/ :-)
On 8/3/2021 12:22 PM, Lou via groups.io wrote:

Hi Fred,
    Great tutorial on Kraut Can Vans.  I realize you used to
specialize in VWs before Hondas.   So what do you know
about the pictured type 3?

    Due to the sliding side doors, I'm guessing they were used by   a
Post office.    But where?  The US has right hand drive PO vehicles
so mail can be delivered on rural routes.   British and Japanese
countries outlaw all Left hand drive vehicles.
        Lou

On 8/3/2021 10:15 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:
Possibly simple avoidance of waste, depending on HOW the strestch is made.

There used to be people making longer and shorter VW bus conversions.
They would take a VW bus, and cut it off right behind the side freight doors.  And they would take another one and cut it off right in front of the freight doors.  Then swap the pieces and weld them together.  The result was one very short VW bus without side freight doors, and one long one with two sets of freight doors.

In 1968, the bus went from swinging double doors on the side to a sliding side door.  Stretch conversions after that were rare.  Also, an international trade battle involving chickens resulting in punitive tarrifs on small "commercial" vehicles, so ones without windows, and even the VW pickup truck became rare.

Prior to 1968, the VW bus had a double door on the side.  Model 211 was windowless.  Model 215 (rare) had double doors on both sides.  Other variants included special delivery models with the side doors on the "wrong" side, sliding doors before 1968, swinging doors after 1968, ones with little skylights above the doors, etc.  If you look at the placement of the hinges of the freight door, early ones had high upper hinges, and in about 1959? the upper hinge was moved down almost to the belt ridge.

The conversion required lengthening, or shortening, the gearshift linkage, the throttle cable, brake lines, wiring, the heater control cables and ducts, etc.
For ones from the 1950s, shoke cable, and cable operated control for the gas tank valve.  VW NEVER had a "reserve" tank; instead, the control (which was cable operated in the bus) controlled the pickup valve at the bottom of the tank, which normally took gas a little bit above the bottom. In "RESERVE" position, it sucked the crud from the bottom of the tank. Once they put in a gas gauge (1961?), they discontinued the two position valve.  But the fitting was the same, so it was possible to put the two position valve on a tank with guage sender, to have a tank with BOTH guage and valve.

I've seen a Honda N600 shortened, and another modified for a single rear wheel, and one with a wooden flatbed.  But, I never saw a lengthened one.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred             cisin@...

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021, David Russel wrote:

No photos but back in school days, late 1960’s, there was a guy who
took the opposite approach and shortened at least 1 corvair by a
decent amount. It had no trouble popping wheelies.