Re: Stretch Corvair

Matthew Spielberg

And I recall that a limo maker did a first class stretch of a first generation Honda Accord.

As I recall, it was somewhat down on power.

On 8/3/2021 3:23 PM, Bruce Dewing via groups.io wrote:
Fred,
Here's a stretch AZ600.  The Mings family built it.  Mr Mings said it was useful when picking up people from the airport.  Should of shot some paint.
Bruce

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 10:15:42 AM PDT, Fred Cisin <cisin@...> wrote:

Possibly simple avoidance of waste, depending on HOW the strestch is made.

There used to be people making longer and shorter VW bus conversions.
They would take a VW bus, and cut it off right behind the side freight
doors.  And they would take another one and cut it off right in front of
the freight doors.  Then swap the pieces and weld them together.  The
result was one very short VW bus without side freight doors, and one long
one with two sets of freight doors.

In 1968, the bus went from swinging double doors on the side to a sliding
side door.  Stretch conversions after that were rare.  Also, an
international trade battle involving chickens resulting in punitive
tarrifs on small "commercial" vehicles, so ones without windows, and even
the VW pickup truck became rare.

Prior to 1968, the VW bus had a double door on the side.  Model 211 was
windowless.  Model 215 (rare) had double doors on both sides.  Other
variants included special delivery models with the side doors on the
"wrong" side, sliding doors before 1968, swinging doors after 1968, ones
with little skylights above the doors, etc.  If you look at the placement
of the hinges of the freight door, early ones had high upper hinges, and
in about 1959? the upper hinge was moved down almost to the belt ridge.

The conversion required lengthening, or shortening, the gearshift linkage,
the throttle cable, brake lines, wiring, the heater control cables and
ducts, etc.
For ones from the 1950s, shoke cable, and cable operated control for the
gas tank valve.  VW NEVER had a "reserve" tank; instead, the control
(which was cable operated in the bus) controlled the pickup valve at the
bottom of the tank, which normally took gas a little bit above the bottom.
In "RESERVE" position, it sucked the crud from the bottom of the tank.
Once they put in a gas gauge (1961?), they discontinued the two position
valve.  But the fitting was the same, so it was possible to put the
two position valve on a tank with guage sender, to have a tank with BOTH
guage and valve.

I've seen a Honda N600 shortened, and another modified for a single rear
wheel, and one with a wooden flatbed.  But, I never saw a lengthened one.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred            cisin@...