Re: Down shifting a manual car to slow down

Ken Nelson

Thanks David - I hope to get to that one while I'm in town.

Ken

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 10:12 PM David Russel <djrussel@...> wrote:
Ken,

Here is what Matt typed previously and it has the address:   “ At that point, having seen some cars but no flying cars, we finished our coffee and donut, took our goodie bag and balloon and headed out to 815 Portola Valley Road for a second Cars and Coffee of the morning, put on by the Silicon Valley Motor Club. (Next one scheduled for July 31) No admission charge, and the coffee is not free, but all proceeds go the church which provides the parking lot. Mix of sun with shade, and a really friendly and open vibe. ”

On Jun 27, 2021, at 6:43 PM, Ken Nelson <citbuff@...> wrote:

Matt, I’ll be in town for jul 31
- where does Silicon Valley club meet?  Is it in Ladera lot on Alpone rd in Portola valley?

Ken

On Jun 27, 2021, at 3:33 PM, Stephen Cooper <oobowls@...> wrote:

Interesting conversation.  Since I've been driving a few months short of 60 years, I can certainly speak from experience.  For the record, I have yet to wear out/nor replace any clutches.
I too am from the camp wherein my father taught me to "use your gears to slow down because gasoline is cheaper than replacing your brakes".

Now then, I just paid $3.85 per gallon to fill up yesterday and that's roughly 20 times as much as when the lesson was given.

However back in high school I earned $1.50 per hour working at Foster's Freeze. While the average dealer's non-supervisory workers made $2.16 per hour out here in the West during 1962.

According to :https://autoservicecosts.com/clutch-cost/..........the average cost to replace a clutch today is $843...
And the average cost of a brake job today would be $270-$375 per axle according to : https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/consumers-guide-to-brake-job-cost/.

So, based on my history of never having had any clutches wear out in 60 years of owning many many vehicles (as many of you in the club know, I have a history of BUYING  vehicles but seldom selling them) but I have had a couple of brake jobs,

I'd say my dad's advice was good.  Even at $3.85 per gallon, gas is still cheaper than a brake job and I have NEVER  had a case of "brake-fade" while coming down a long grade on a hot day.
Average
_