I was intrigued whether I could use a VIN verifier for my use case (registering my salvaged Mini)- looks like there are cases when you can and cannot use a VIN verifier:
Authorized Vehicle Verifiers are:
- DMV employees.
- Peace officers including military police (California Penal Code §830).
- Employees of auto clubs that provide registration services.
- Auto club verifiers must include the abbreviation of their auto club name with their signature.
- Persons licensed as vehicle verifiers by DMV.
- Licensed vehicle verifiers cannot do VIN inspections for revived salvage, revived junk, SPCNS vehicles, or motorcycles with an unavailable California record (last registered in California but a record no longer appears on the DMV database).