Re: Help with registering a car in California

David Russel

Her intent was clearly CYA, hers not mine. The issue was checking the box for “numbers on paperwork do not match vehicle “ in order to change from using the engine # as VIN to using chassis #   Simple and straightforward correction as chassis # was embossed in body parts and on mfg data tag. 


Sent From Mobile Phone

On Oct 13, 2020, at 1:56 PM, Matthew Spielberg <mspielberg@...> wrote:

Also note that the manager may have been doing you a favor. Sacramento may have bounced the completed paperwork at a later time. Had it happen.

On 10/13/2020 12:50 PM, David Russel wrote:
Having had a manager (not the clerk who was being very helpful, accommodating, and about to approve when her manager overheard part of our conversation and came over to check out the paperwork) reject the verification done by the DMV verifier at her location, I suggest getting the verification done by the CHP.  When the DMV manager rejected her own co-workers verification I asked what would be acceptable and she said she would accept it from the CHP.  On request she gave me the CHP phone number she had on file and as I recall the call went thru without any exhausting phone menu tree BS.  The inspecting officer invited me to come over and said he'd try to fit me in between his appointments and when I arrived his next appointment was late and he took me immediately.  He laughed at the DMV's CYA refusal, looked the car over noting chassis # and Data plate information, and signed off on the verification.  Back at the DMV with the CHP approval it all went smoothly.

Not saying that other locations and different players will also reject their in-house verifier, but having it done by CHP will give you an edge.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:34 PM Keith Murphy via <> wrote:
1. Ask CA DMV if a “file” exists for your VIN and CA lic plate number.

2. If NO file exists, your VIN and/or CA lic plate are not in file - no fines are due, as no file record exist.

3. Start a new DMV file: start an  application for original title and ownership - you will need a VIN verification done at DMV field office, establish the value of the vehicle for CA tax & DMV fee purposes.

* Bend over, catch your breath, and hope your not dealing with a DMV official who wants to administratively make your day, month and year - just ask for all your paperwork back and regroup and go to another DMV field office, yourself having fixed any mistakes that might have been brought to light by your first close encounter of the DMV kind ...

On Oct 13, 2020, at 11:24 AM, sujit roy via <> wrote:

I got a Triumph Stag as a parts car. It was too good to part out and over the years I was able to get enough parts to get it running.
I have some paperwork for it as it was sold under a lien. I never registered it.
I would like to register this car now in CA. How do I go about registering it and what is the process?
I've had the car for many years and am hoping to avoid any penalties for not registering the car even under the PNO status.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards, Sujit

Matthew M Spielberg
21855 Redwood Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 886-5751
(209) 586-0250

Join to automatically receive all group messages.