Re: Help with registering a car in California

Keith Murphy

1. Ask CA DMV if a “file” exists for your VIN and CA lic plate number.

2. If NO file exists, your VIN and/or CA lic plate are not in file - no fines are due, as no file record exist.

3. Start a new DMV file: start an  application for original title and ownership - you will need a VIN verification done at DMV field office, establish the value of the vehicle for CA tax & DMV fee purposes.

* Bend over, catch your breath, and hope your not dealing with a DMV official who wants to administratively make your day, month and year - just ask for all your paperwork back and regroup and go to another DMV field office, yourself having fixed any mistakes that might have been brought to light by your first close encounter of the DMV kind ...

On Oct 13, 2020, at 11:24 AM, sujit roy via <sujitroy@...> wrote:

I got a Triumph Stag as a parts car. It was too good to part out and over the years I was able to get enough parts to get it running.
I have some paperwork for it as it was sold under a lien. I never registered it.
I would like to register this car now in CA. How do I go about registering it and what is the process?
I've had the car for many years and am hoping to avoid any penalties for not registering the car even under the PNO status.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards, Sujit

Join to automatically receive all group messages.