Re: Borgward-Goliath

Dick Tuttle

Sorry, by bottom feeder I meant that the Lloyd was the lowest cost car of the
concern's lineup. When I was 18 years old I worked for a Lloyd dealer and
was sent to factory mechanic's school for Lloyd in San Francisco where I became
an expert on the Alexander TS (in just 3 days!). I have great esteem for
these cars and ended up owning several. The TS was fast and durable and could
outrun and outlast any other stock 600cc car, including the much later Honda 600.
My wife got her first driver's license in one, a TS wagon I drove for many
years. I also had both long and short wheelbase LTs and a pickup version.
These did have wooden coach built bodies which rotted away eventually. The
Alexanders were all steel but the body panels were nearly all bolted together and
must have been labor intensive to assemble. The engines were nicely done with
roller cranks. Wherever bolts went into the alloy castings, there were cast-in
steel inserts to prevent stripping, again difficult to manufacture. Lloyd
600s are good...but then I hardly ever met a car I didn't like.