Re: DKW cold start

Dick Tuttle

I don't know if your hydrosyphon system works differently from the thermosyphon system in my '34 Morgan JAP, but I have run around 50% antifreeze for 35 years now and never overheated, even though there is no fan.  Also ran it in my series MM Morris for years without trouble.  It seems to work well in the 1172 cc Ford engines as well.   Is the DKW cooling system a little marginal?

From: Mark P Hatten
To: Arcane Autos Yahoo group <arcane_autos@...>
Sent: Tue, Dec 24, 2013 11:45 am
Subject: RE: [Arcane_autos] DKW cold start

You can't run 50/50 antifreeze in a hydrosyphon cooling system, it does not flow and will overheat the engine. I run 3-5%. anti freeze, some corrosion inhibitor, and water wetter.

Mark

www.mphspecialties.com

To: Arcane_autos@...
From: citbuff@...
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:28:00 -0800

If it has an aluminum head, use AF as it has additives to prevent alum. corrosion, and for pete's sake you need freeze protection anywhere.

Ken