Re: Odd Motor

Dick Tuttle

Although the configuration is that of a radial engine, the Adams-Farwell, like the countless Gnome-Rhone engines used on so many early aircraft, is a true rotary.  The pistons don't go up and down and don't have to be accelerated and stopped every half revolution like a reciprocating engine, they simply whirl around the crank pin on their rods.  Great rotating mass plus the difficulty of getting fuel in and exhaust out of the whirling dervish made them impractical for car use.

From: richard ranch
To: Arcane_autos
Sent: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 7:03 am
Subject: [Arcane_autos] Odd Motor

They call this a rotary motor, I thought it should be called a radial motor, anyway, thought I'd seen all the basic motor designs but this is really unique.

This is the ONLY 'Adams-Farwell' automobile left in existence.  They were made in Dubuque between 1890-1913. This one uses a 50 HP rotary engine similar to engines in old airplanes.