Re: Leaky transmission

Dick Tuttle

Yes, another Intel success.  I see their chip sales are up as well.  The Peel didn't quite make it home.  Zipping down the expressway at 9,000 rpm or so, it suffered a partial seizure and piston damage.  I was just going to call home when an Intel employee in a Miata stopped, saying he had seen the Peel in the show.  He kindly gave me a ride home to fetch the trailer.  Time for an over-due top end overhaul.

As for Craig's leak, though I am not sure of the nature of the casting flaw (crack?) I have had good success with JB Weld.  I cut an aluminum plate larger than the leak, shape it to contour of the casting, clean all surfaces and glue it on.  Don't spare the JB Weld, use plenty like thoses guys that hang themselves on I-beams with their hard hats.  Devise a way to hold the plate snug while the epoxy dries.  If it is just a pin hole, drill, tap and plug might be a good way too.  As for gear oil in the bilge, you need all the rust protection you can get, I think.