Topics

Initial startup challenge/solution

Pat Cahill

                Good evening all,

                I recently received my Antuino.  I installed NEW batteries, but the unit did not power up.  I then plugged a powered USB cable into the Antuino and it cam up and worked perfectly.  I then started to investigate the battery problem, and found that the battery holder was not allowing one of the batteries to connect at both ends. The plastic battery holder was stiff.  If you looked closely, you could see one battery did not connect at both ends.  By repositioning the battery, the problem was solved.

This is not a complaint, rather hopefully a short cut if you are having problems after installing batteries.

Happy customer!

73,

Pat W0BM

Ashhar Farhan

it is unfortunate that you are facing this problem. i have added testing of the battery case on the check list.
very often the battery cases are packed badly as they arrive and we have to discard some away. thanks for the tip.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 3:47 AM Pat Cahill <w0bm@...> wrote:

                Good evening all,

                I recently received my Antuino.  I installed NEW batteries, but the unit did not power up.  I then plugged a powered USB cable into the Antuino and it cam up and worked perfectly.  I then started to investigate the battery problem, and found that the battery holder was not allowing one of the batteries to connect at both ends. The plastic battery holder was stiff.  If you looked closely, you could see one battery did not connect at both ends.  By repositioning the battery, the problem was solved.

This is not a complaint, rather hopefully a short cut if you are having problems after installing batteries.

Happy customer!

73,

Pat W0BM

Dave_G0WBX

From: Ashhar Farhan
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 22:42:45 PST

it is unfortunate that you are facing this problem. i have added testing of the battery case on the check list.
very often the battery cases are packed badly as they arrive and we have to discard some away. thanks for the tip.

Hi.

I had the exact same problem at first.  I just poked each cell in turn to make sure they were pushed towards the +ve end, to make contact..

The "problem" seems to be, that the material the battery holder is made from, is unusually "thick/heavy" between the individual cell's, so gripping them so tight, that the spring contact at the -ve end, can't move them to make reliable contact at the +ve end.

Other multi-cell AA battery holders are available of course, but ...

73 to All.

Dave G8KBV
(Still learning my way around the firmware...)

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE

Ashhar:

Thank you for designing and producing the Antuino for us.

The problem preventing my Antuino from running off the battery pack was due to bad solder joints around the DC power jack. I resoldered the joints, and now it is also working off the battery pack.

Chris Shaker