Topics

External Power Supply Selection?

Garry48

The schematic shows a Fairchild LM78L05ACZ voltage regulator rated for 100 mA.  For 5VDC output, the max input voltage is 30VDC.
What external power supply are you using?
All Electronics has switching 'wall warts' (type A) and computer like power supplies (Type B).  I'm wondering if the 'type A' output voltage is clean enough for powering the Antuino.
TIA
Garry

KA5FPT Paul

Garry,

Reading the datasheet for the LM78L05ACZ voltage regulator, I believe it needs a minimum of 7 volts input. I have used a MFJ 12 volt wall wart with no issues, but that was just a quick functional check. Of course you can also use a 9 volt supply since that is about what the 6 AA batteries would be providing. I don't have a switching power supply to test with, and I would be leery of the cheap usb type supplies. They tend not to be filtered very well.

73,

Paul KA5FPT

Don--AE4DW

Just get yourself a decent regulated 12V supply, rated for a couple hundred ma, and you're good to go. There's nothing that I'm seeing in the schematic that says you need anything more exotic than that.

Full disclosure, I have yet to buy an Antuino, so cannot speak to any experience with any issues that would suggest needing anything more exotic than what I'm describing, but from what i see in the design, a solid 12V in gives you a solid 5V out, and you're in business.

bleepingbeep

My Antuino will get fairly light use, so I prefer a rechargeable battery pack.  I'm using 10 Eneloop AA cells in a battery holder.  This provides a clean 12-13V.   I'm not using the internal holder at all.

Jerry AA6KI
Tucson

Michael Shreeve

I would run it at 12 if that's all you had. Regulated ? not necessary, has an internal regulator. But, I suspect the regulator will be fairly hot at 12, so I recommend 9. No lower than 9 though, I've noticed that when the batteries slip to 1.2 each , 7.2 is not enough, the display starts to dim. So, a solid 9v.

MVS Sarma

Yes. 9v dc is apt for it.