Topics

Antuino use to place an FM - DAB roof antenna? - Gerber file available?

Geert.VandeWiele@...

Can Antuino also be used to find the best possible location and orientation for an FM - DAB+ roof antenna (VHF band II and band III)?
If so, how? The idea is that my hifi tuner is down on the ground floor, could i just connect the Antuino to the antenna while i'm on the roof installing the antenna, tune it to a specific frequency and see which orientation gives me the best possible signal?
Or is this all overkill and are there simpler ways to achieve the goal of finding the best spot/direction for the antenna?

Also, is the gerber file available for the PCB since this looks like a nice project to build with my kid that loves electronics?
Or is the PCB not open source and is buying the ready made Antuino the only optiion?

Thanks for any answers.

Ashhar Farhan

Geert,
Antuino is a great sniffer. you can use it, of course! The PCB layouts are unfortunately not publicly available. However, the layout is quite simple. just take care around the outputs of the Si5351. keep those leads very short between the various resistor pads and the RF connectors.

73, f

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 4:20 AM <Geert.VandeWiele@...> wrote:
Can Antuino also be used to find the best possible location and orientation for an FM - DAB+ roof antenna (VHF band II and band III)?
If so, how? The idea is that my hifi tuner is down on the ground floor, could i just connect the Antuino to the antenna while i'm on the roof installing the antenna, tune it to a specific frequency and see which orientation gives me the best possible signal?
Or is this all overkill and are there simpler ways to achieve the goal of finding the best spot/direction for the antenna?

Also, is the gerber file available for the PCB since this looks like a nice project to build with my kid that loves electronics?
Or is the PCB not open source and is buying the ready made Antuino the only optiion?

Thanks for any answers.

Dave_G0WBX

Hi.

It might work with FM signals, but I doubt DAB, unless exceedingly strong.

The "RX" in the Antuino is quite narrow band, so you'd need to "tune"
into a relatively constant narrow band signal to get a sensible reading
you could use to position an antenna.   DAB signals in particular are
very wide band, and more noise like in nature than carriers.

It is a good tool for sniffing local RF leakage, from bad/damaged cables
and connectors for example, where the frequency is known.

For your antenna needs, try a common DTV/DAB "Dongle" and any of the
popular PC based SDR programs that show a spectrum plot, of course, not
easy to cart up to the roof, unless you can VNC from a phone to see the
PC's screen.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Geert.VandeWiele@...

Thanks a lot for your input, Dave.
I'm not so familiar with SDR. Googling of course will turn up a lot of DVB-T/DAB/FM dongles and SDR software. Is there any that you prefer personally?

kind regards

Geert

Dave_G0WBX

Hi Gert.

If your using Windows, then SDR# (sdr sharp) is about the easiest to use.

On Linux, probably GQRX, but go to the website and follow the detailed
instructions to install that, so not follow the Youtube versions, most
are so out of date, it's a joke.

Then with either, use the SDR dongle of your choice.  The NewElec brand
are as good as any for simple tasks, as are many others.   Some even
come with simple Windows software too.

Ask around for other opinions too, as there are "Lots" of variations and
options.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Geert.VandeWiele@...

Thank you Dave G0WBX,

I already tried out SDR-radio which looks fabulous, but also a bit overwhelming for the uninitiated...
I will have a look at SDR Sharp.
I had the luck to find a dongle saying "DVB-T+DAB+FM+SDR" in my cupboard. With the right amount of fiddling, it seems to work in SDR-Radio. I'll give it a go in SDR Sharp too.
Now i just need to figure out how these SDR programs work. It took me half an hour to figure out how to get music instead of noise when tuning in to my favourite radio station  ;-)

kind regards
Geert  (with two "e" s btw...  ;-) )