Topics

Antuino: Building from the source files. Library location.

Dave_G0WBX

Hi.

Like many others (so I see from some time with google) new to the Arduino IDE (successfully installed and working with other demo projects, and simple trials of my own etc.)  I'm having trouble figuring out what goes where, to get the Antuino firmware to build.

Can someone advise please, on the folder structure needed?   A blow by blow, as to what to put where, and what order to open source files etc.  As always, stuff like this is easy when you know how.    But when you don't...  It might as well be described in gobledegook...

I'm using Linux (Mint 19.2)  Arduino IDE version 1.8.10, and have all my other sources and projects as folders under ~/app-src.   In the case of the Antuino, I have extracted the contents of the zip from Git, and placed that at:-  ~/app-src/Arduino/antuino-master    I also have (currently empty) ~/app-src/Arduino/my-antuino  Where I'd like "My" experimental code to be, so I always have the virgin "master" copy elsewhere.

I've "installed" GLCD (according to the IDE) but antenna_analyzer_pl (or is it p1?  Font issues) still fails, saying that GLCD is missing.

The IDE also wants (insists) that each source file lives in it's own unique folder, with the same name as the source file.   Not seen that behaviour before.

Ideally, a zip of a clean source tree, that is known to build would be fantastic, sadly, what's on Git, seems to confuse not only me, but the IDE too.

73 for now.

Dave G8KBV, lost in a digital soup.

Dave_G0WBX

OK Having spent (a lot) more time on this.   Help is still needed please.

Can someone please confirm that the current Arduino IDE version 1.8.10 is suitable for compiling the firmware.

From trawling the web, and following several tutorials, I suspect that a much earlier version of the IDE may have been used, as what seems to be needed, as far as folder tree layout, is nothing like how 1.8.10 does things.

Is there any documented "how to" anywhere, to get us started on *this* project?

In brief, I can get other projects from other people to compile and build just fine, but not the Antuino project, downloaded (as a zipfile) from :-

https://github.com/afarhan/antuino

However, I think I may be able to flip the VSWR plot the right way up, having found those parts of the sources, hopefully without touching the lookup table.

Dave G8KBV (or G0WBX, both valid, and both mine.)

On 22/10/2019 17:51, Dave_G0WBX via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi.

Like many others (so I see from some time with google) new to the Arduino IDE (successfully installed and working with other demo projects, and simple trials of my own etc.)  I'm having trouble figuring out what goes where, to get the Antuino firmware to build.

Can someone advise please, on the folder structure needed?   A blow by blow, as to what to put where, and what order to open source files etc.  As always, stuff like this is easy when you know how.    But when you don't...  It might as well be described in gobledegook...

I'm using Linux (Mint 19.2)  Arduino IDE version 1.8.10, and have all my other sources and projects as folders under ~/app-src.   In the case of the Antuino, I have extracted the contents of the zip from Git, and placed that at:-  ~/app-src/Arduino/antuino-master    I also have (currently empty) ~/app-src/Arduino/my-antuino  Where I'd like "My" experimental code to be, so I always have the virgin "master" copy elsewhere.

I've "installed" GLCD (according to the IDE) but antenna_analyzer_pl (or is it p1?  Font issues) still fails, saying that GLCD is missing.

The IDE also wants (insists) that each source file lives in it's own unique folder, with the same name as the source file.   Not seen that behaviour before.

Ideally, a zip of a clean source tree, that is known to build would be fantastic, sadly, what's on Git, seems to confuse not only me, but the IDE too.

73 for now.

-- 
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

MVS Sarma

Why not use 1.8.5 and be happy. 
I had tried 1.8.8 some time back and had to revert to a stable version 1.8.5

Sarma vu3zmv

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 4:28 am Dave_G0WBX via Groups.Io, <g8kbvdave=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Can someone please confirm that the current Arduino IDE version 1.8.10 is suitable for compiling the firmware.

From trawling the web, and following several tutorials, I suspect that a much earlier version of the IDE may have been used, as what seems to be needed, as far as folder tree layout, is nothing like how 1.8.10 does things.

In brief, I can get other projects from other people to compile and build just fine, but not the Antuino project, downloaded (as a zipfile) from :-

However, I think I may be able to flip the VSWR plot the right way up, having found those parts of the sources, hopefully without touching the lookup table.

Hi.

73 for now.

-- 
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Dave_G0WBX

Well, I did have 1.8.6 in the past when I ran Mint 17 or 18, and that was fine with small projects, and the Tsunami.

I've since updated the OS on both my laptop and main shack machine(to Mint 19.2 64 bit) and in the process brought a host of other stuff up-to-date, with few minor problems, no show-stoppers.  (The removal of gksu caught me out though, needing to rewrite some of my own launcher scripts.   The Tsunami projects also build just fine on 1.8.10.)

Arduino IDE 1.8.10 is the stable release version, according to :-  https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software  I do not generally use hourly/nightly builds, also avoiding beta builds where I can too.

In any case, you didn't answer my question, so perhaps you don't know the answer yourself?

Dave 'kbv

On 23/10/2019 05:36, MVS Sarma wrote:
Why not use 1.8.5 and be happy. 
I had tried 1.8.8 some time back and had to revert to a stable version 1.8.5

Sarma vu3zmv

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 4:28 am Dave_G0WBX via Groups.Io, <g8kbvdave=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi.

73 for now.

-- 

-- 

David S

Dave

HI

I think you've got the ols sketch version 1, the correct code is here https://github.com/afarhan/antuinov2.1 

Probably teaching you to suck eggs but download all files via the green Clone or download button on the right just above the list of files.

Having got that, unzipped the files wherever you prefer into a SINGLE directory called antenna_analyzer_p3 (that's all important) , the main (starting) file is antenna_analyzer_p3.ino and the IDE requires the same directory name.  The first line in that file is the display library    #include <glcd.h>

The <.file name..> means you have to install the library into the Arduino IDE, I think you may have already done that though. If not when you try to compile you will get an error cant find xxx, you can install zipped libraries from within the IDE, just point the IDE to the directory your using.

I can compile under  1.18.10 without problems but do have to use the old bootloader option.  I get a compiles size od 22890 bytes and it needs 1338 bytes of memory.  So it can be done, just get the latest file and start over.

Regards

David G8DJM

Daniel Walter

Hi,
Similar problem here. I am completely green to Arduino/IDE/etc.

I have IDE 1.18.10 and I have all in 'antenna_analyzer_p3.ino'  First line is #include <glcd.h>. glcd.h is in libraries and 'ks0108_Arduino.h is in glcd subfolder.

Anyway, I try to compile and keep getting the error- 'btnDown' was not declared in this scope.   Things just stop from there. Any ideas?

Dan
NM3A

Dave_G0WBX

Thanks David.

I'll play later.   Some quick replies embedded below...

On 23/10/2019 12:19, David S wrote:
Dave

HI

I think you've got the ols sketch version 1, the correct code is here https://github.com/afarhan/antuinov2.1
        Yes found that last night, but thanks.  (The web page needs updating then...)

Probably teaching you to suck eggs but download all files via the green Clone or download button on the right just above the list of files.
        Indeed!  That's what I did.  Used the download a zip option.

Having got that, unzipped the files wherever you prefer into a SINGLE directory called antenna_analyzer_p3 (that's all important) , the main (starting) file is antenna_analyzer_p3.ino and the IDE requires the same directory name.  The first line in that file is the display library    #include <glcd.h>
        "Thought" that's what I did, will flatten it all and start again, and see what happens.

The <.file name..> means you have to install the library into the Arduino IDE, I think you may have already done that though. If not when you try to compile you will get an error cant find xxx, you can install zipped libraries from within the IDE, just point the IDE to the directory your using.
        Will try again as above.

I can compile under  1.18.10 without problems but do have to use the old bootloader option.  I get a compiles size od 22890 bytes and it needs 1338 bytes of memory.  So it can be done, just get the latest file and start over.

Will do.

I've just had three Arduino Nano's delivered, sacrificial lamb's etc...

Regards

David G8DJM

Thanks again.

Dave 'KBV.

-- 

Dave,

Go back to the older version 1.8.5 and try. I had similar problems and went back.

You cant have digital soups without alphabets eh? ..--..

Raj, vu2zap

At 22-10-19, you wrote:
Hi.

73 for now.

Dave,

I have a folder called Antuino in my dropbox (I travel from city to farm)
I click on the ino file and IDE will create a folder and move the file. Then put all relevant files there
and in the IDE put all the libraries in if not already.

I am still on 1.8.5 the newer ones are buggy!

Raj

At 22-10-19, you wrote:
Hi.

Like many others (so I see from some time with google) new to the Arduino IDE (successfully installed and working with other demo projects, and simple trials of my own etc.) I'm having trouble figuring out what goes where, to get the Antuino firmware to build.

Can someone advise please, on the folder structure needed? A blow by blow, as to what to put where, and what order to open source files etc. As always, stuff like this is easy when you know how. But when you don't... It might as well be described in gobledegook...

I'm using Linux (Mint 19.2) Arduino IDE version 1.8.10, and have all my other sources and projects as folders under ~/app-src. In the case of the Antuino, I have extracted the contents of the zip from Git, and placed that at:- ~/app-src/Arduino/antuino-master I also have (currently empty) ~/app-src/Arduino/my-antuino Where I'd like "My" experimental code to be, so I always have the virgin "master" copy elsewhere.

I've "installed" GLCD (according to the IDE) but antenna_analyzer_pl (or is it p1? Font issues) still fails, saying that GLCD is missing.

The IDE also wants (insists) that each source file lives in it's own unique folder, with the same name as the source file. Not seen that behaviour before.

73 for now.

C Wall

I am using Debian testing and I have this in the Arduino folder in my home directory

Arduino --> antenna_analyzer_p3 --> antenna_analyzer_p3.ino
                                                                                  gui.ino
                                                                                  ks0108_Arduino.h
                                                                                  plot.ino
                                                                                  si5351.ino
                                                                                  libraries --> glcd --> bitmaps --> 
                                                                                                                             config -->
                                                                                                                             device -->
                                                                                                                             doc -- >
                                                                                                                             examples -->
                                                                                                                             fonts -->
                                                                                                                             include -->
                                                                                                                             Buildinfo.txt
                                                                                                                             glcd.cpp
                                                                                                                             glcd.h
                                                                                                                             glcd_Buildinfo.h
                                                                                                                             glcd_Config.h
                                                                                                                             glcd_Device.cpp
                                                                                                                             gText.cpp
                                                                                                                             License.txt
                                                                                                                             readme.txt

The project file must have a folder name the same as the main program name.  The libraries folder in the antenna_analyzer_p3  folder has the modified glcd library, by having it in the antenn_analyzer_p3  folder that is the one it will use to build the Antuino software with.   I can confirm that  Arduino  1.8.10 builds the code from https://github.com/afarhan/antuinov2.1

73 Carl 
VE3APY

Garry48

Dan / NM3A,

Windows 10 with Arduino IDE Ver 1.8.10.

I moved these files into the 'C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\Arduino\Sketches\antuinov2.1-master\antenna_analyzer_p3' subdirectory:

gui.ino, plot.ino, and si5351.ino.

Extract the gcld.zip from the Antuino 2.1 GitHub archive and add it using 'SKETCH' -> 'INCLUDE LIBRARY' -> 'ADD ZIP LIB'

ks0108_Arduino.h should go in the 'C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\Arduino\sketches\ibraries\glcd\include' subdirectory.

Now it compiles using version 1.8.10.

Garry / WD0DUD

On 10/23/2019 5:26 AM, Daniel Walter via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,
Similar problem here. I am completely green to Arduino/IDE/etc.

I have IDE 1.18.10 and I have all in 'antenna_analyzer_p3.ino'  First line is #include <glcd.h>. glcd.h is in libraries and 'ks0108_Arduino.h is in glcd subfolder.

Anyway, I try to compile and keep getting the error- 'btnDown' was not declared in this scope.   Things just stop from there. Any ideas?

Dan
NM3A

Daniel Walter

Garry,
Thank you for your clear instructions! I did not have everything in the same folder. It now compiled and uploaded perfectly. FYI, I am using Win7 Pro and 1.8.10. 

Got another problem now, tho. Maybe a h/w issue. SWR reads either 99.9 or 17.4 with nothing connected. 51 ohm non inductive resistor reads 4.0 SWR. 33ohm-8.7, 22 ohm-5.8, 15ohm-8.7, 68ohm-3.0.

Anyway, they appear to be somewhat random and nonsensical. 

Will check solder points and maybe start another thread. 

Thanks again for your help, Garry

73, Dan