Did you have a child born in 2020 or 2021? If so, please consider joining our video chat study! #mainstream

Early.Learning.Project [Organization] <earlylearning@...>

Did you have a child in 2020 or 2021? If so, consider joining our video chat study! Since the COVID-19 pandemic has made virtual social interactions the norm, the Early Learning Project at Georgetown University is studying how infants learn and interact through a screen. We are looking for teams of both parents and grandparents to participate in 4 online surveys, and 4 completed surveys will earn you compensation. Please help us learn more about how families navigate these unprecedented times through a screen. For more information, please visit:  https://elp.georgetown.edu/portfolio/videochat/ Want to participate? Sign up at: https://elp.georgetown.edu/sign-up/

Early.Learning.Project [Organization], use a name, please.
If so, consider joining our video chat study

Is the study done in a video chat?

Or do you want to study video chats?

Infants don't chat yet.

The request isn't very clearly written.

-=-We are looking for teams of both parents and grandparents to participate in 4 online surveys,-=-

Grandparents who have chatted with their grandchildren online?

Grandparents who have grandchildren living in the same house?

-=-the Early Learning Project at Georgetown University is studying how infants learn and interact through a screen.-=-

Learning is the same with a screen, a book, or an in-person exchange.  It only happens inside the learner, if the information is interesting and there's something already inside to stick it to—associations and connections.

I'm glad the study's being done, so that the nonsense that has been claimed to keep children from "using screens" can be debunked.

Since you (a singular person who posted the request for participants, or the group, if others are reading) want to learn more about learning, consider the problem of using the term "screens."

https://sandradodd.com/screentime.html

If you want to make comparisons to similar odd learning situations, look at the school of the air (public school by radio, at first, and now internet) in Australia.  They have seventy years of experience.

I hope the self-reporting of mainstream parents who were disallowing "screentime" before all this started won't be the same propaganda they were believing when their kids were going to school.

Sandra

-=- the Early Learning Project at Georgetown University is studying how infants learn and interact through a screen. -=-

Sandra Dodd

Clarify this, please, so that people don't need to write and ask individually:

---We are looking for teams of both parents and grandparents---
To qualify, do both parents need to participate?  Or one parent and.... how many grandparents?
Does 'teams" mean groups of participants?  Or does "team" mean that to qualify there should be two generations above the new baby reporting?

I don't usually let surveys through to the group, but things have been quiet and Covid-days are interesting.  Clarify, though, please.

Sandra

--
(This doesn't look like Sandra Dodd's e-mail, but it is one.)

Early.Learning.Project [Organization] <earlylearning@...>

Hi Sandra,

My name is Gianna, and I am a research assistant working with the Early Learning Project at Georgetown University. Thank you for the feedback on the post! With this study, we are aiming to understand how infants interact with their grandparents through video chatting since the pandemic has limited in-person social interactions. We are looking for one parent and one grandparent to participate. I assume we are not looking for grandparents who live in the same house as their grandchild, but I can get clarifications on all your concerns from our research coodrinator and fix the post within the next few days (the research coordinator is offline tomorrow for President's Day). Thank you for your interest and for allowing me to post about our study once I make these changes!

In the meantime, here is a link to our FAQs: https://elp.georgetown.edu/video-chat-study-faqs/

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Best,
Gianna Ungaro
Research Assisant
Georgetown Early Learning Project