thanks to this group

Fundayeveryday

Our family of six is fairly new to unschooling and I want to say thank you for the amazing words of wisdom and experience that this group provides.

We have made many positive changes in our parenting style gradually over the past year thanks to  'reading,trying, waiting and watching'. Every time I read a posting I say "I would have never thought of that on my own". You all bring eye opening thoughts to every discussion and I appreciate it immensely! It helps me to question myself when I have a very silly 'rule' stuck in my head of how something 'should' be. It's funny how different the world can look, when you're not so restricted in your thoughts.

 First of all, our kids (ages 3,6,9,10) are so much happier as unschoolers vs. when we tried 'homeschooling'. I love that my kids don't feel pressured anymore to learn curriculum that has to be 'learned by a certain time or else'. It is so freeing to sit with our kids laughing and watching their favorite t.v. shows, playing their favorite games online while skyping with friends while they talk to us about their interests, baking in the kitchen together, taking special moments to grab binoculars and look at birds or animals passing through our yard, taking car rides to a nearby train station so our youngest can smile when he watches trains pass by (he doesn't want to try a ride on a train just yet), and doing what we can to follow their interests. Our kids also like having choices for meals and are so happy and creative in their suggestions of what we should make and happy that we actually do make what they are suggesting!! They feel open and free to offer suggestions, which is something I adore. Our parents are amazed at how quickly and openly our kids offer amazing views or solutions to any situation. They are not afraid to become part of adult conversations. They are all happy, giggly, comical, and have an amazing sense of humor, I believe, because they feel free to do so!

The advice on this group to 'treat your children as if they were your guests' is just one example of how your words have planted such a life changing seed. 'Kindness and giving generously' to our children really does feel good-you're right! When I first started reading about unschooling, I did think 'wouldn't giving so much spoil a child?'. Now I totally see how that thought (among many other previous thoughts of mine) was so wrong. Our kids are so happy to give of themselves as well. They are happy, sweet kids. If they are frustrated about something, they openly communicate about it. All of these characteristics (happy, open, creative, humorous) are possible because they feel free and I never would have known about helping my kids to live freely if it weren't for this website, awesome contributors, and the Big Book of Unschooling :)

 I still have plenty of areas to improve on. I love that I am moving forward and can do my best to make small changes. I have scrap pieces of paper with quotes and sayings from your website taped to my refrigerator. They are great reminders of where I want my mind to be. I'm going to buy Sandra's magnets...they are beautiful. Thank you for helping our family enjoy a closeness that is so sweet and priceless.

 To Sandra and all other contributors, the amount of time that you spend helping others is so appreciated.

Kristen