Re: Just learning!

Genevieve Raymond <genevieve.raymond@...>

Our oven is broken, and we've been baking our birthday pies at our neighbor's house today.  I was just over checking on them, and my 8-year old daughter came running through the door and said "Mama, is two 7s fourteen?"  I said, "Yes, were you thinking about weeks?"  (We had just been talking about how many weeks until she can take her new earrings out.)  She said, "No, I was thinking about how 7 is 2 more than 5, and two 5s is 10, so two 7s would be two 5s, plus two 2s."

She and her brother ask things like this pretty regularly, and I think it's so cool that they spend time thinking about numbers and math "just because," and also to hear the different ways that they calculate sums in their heads.  If they were in school, there would be *one* way to come up with a sum, but they get to play around with numbers, turn them around in their heads, and discover the beauty of math for themselves.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Tiffani <tiffermomof5@...> wrote:

My family was big into school when my second son asked to be homeschooled. We decided to give it a try. We started off recreating school.

We joined an unschooling parkday group and I was introduced to unschooling.

Skip forward a few years. My youngest son has never been to school and he hasn't had to do school work at home. When he was 5 I thought how is he going to learn without worksheets. He and I were in the bathroom and he moved in front of me and declared "I am in front of you." Then he moved next to me and said "I am beside you" and so on. That was a huge aha moment for me. This exercise of positions was a kindergarten worksheet being done in real life not on paper and just because he figured it out. I have seen many more examples of this as the years have gone on.

Tiffani

From: Sandra Dodd ;
To: <AlwaysLearning@...>;
Subject: Re: [AlwaysLearning] Re: Just learning!
Sent: Wed, Oct 30, 2013 3:24:11 PM

-=-I've been reading here since our kids (now 6 yr olds) were babies and I came to trust that the parents of grown unschooled kids knew what they were talking about when they described how their kids learned. It is truly awesome to experience our kids learning. Reading and swimming (two activities that many folks believe must be taught) arose spontaneously, easily, with joyful confidence. The corresponding joy my husband and I feel----immeasurable!-=-

Tori, I want to start a page with this, on people's "own certain knowledge" that their children can learn.

As you say, it starts off trusting other people's stories, but at some point, with each person, it becomes personal. Maybe they used to think it could happen. Then one day they *know.*

One of the sessions I led last weekend was about that very thing. Here was the description:

Your Own Certain Knowledge

Vague interest can turn to trust in others' accounts of learning and of parenting successes. Trust in those stories can give us courage to experiment, and from that we can discover our own proofs and truths to share with newer unschoolers, who might find courage from that to try these things themselves. Faith in others can only take us a little way, though, and then our own children's learning will carry us onward. Some ideas become theories. A few theories might turn to convictions. Some early thoughts will be abandoned; others will gain substance. After much thought and use, what is left will be what you believe because you have lived it.

Share (if you wish to) a moment when learning surprised you in a profound way.

It went well, but it wasn't the time to be taking notes. At least three people got tears in their eyes. I did a similar one (less tearful) last May in Minneapolis.

If anyone else wants to write something for me to preserve there for others to read, please do. Here, or send it to me.