Re: Advice on handling Big Wants in a positive way

Schuyler <s.waynforth@...>

I have a daughter who had a love of stuffed animals. Yesterday we went through
the room that is chock-a-block stuffed animals and she reorganised them and we
tucked some out of the way, but she hasn't had a new stuffed animal in a long
time. When she was younger, though, she liked getting lots of different stuffed
animals. I had moments like you speak of, I felt like it was too much money for
such a collection. But, over time, and with perspective, I realised that she was
getting more and more discerning about where she spent her money. And it was
really important to me that she had her own money. It gave me the freedom to say
yes or to say no to something and still let her choose to get it.

Linnaea and Simon, who have had their purchases supported to the best of David's
income's ability, are both more likely to say no to an offer of something than
yes. They make decisions based so much more on what they want then I did as an
11 year old or as a 14 year old. Actually, they've got me bested long into my
adult years. They don't feel the need that I felt to have a treat. They both
have money from their allowance that they haven't spent. I think saying yes to
them when they were younger really set them up to see the value in both money
and what they want.

Maybe that's unrelated, maybe saying yes to what they wanted in lots of their
lives, yes to playing a game, yes to a bath, yes to going to the park, yes to
swimming, yes to another book, yes to watching that movie, yes to that stuffed
animal, yes to that sword, yes to bouncing on the trampoline with them, maybe
all of those yesses lead to two children who don't feel needy enough to look for
their happiness in lots of stuff. It isn't that they don't want stuff or buy
stuff. They get video games, and Linnaea likes certain kinds of clothes from a
specific store, but they are really discerning of what they want and how much it
costs. Maybe that discernment comes from a lack of need.

You can look for more ways to fulfil her desire for stuffed animals, but don't
look at her as though she is spoiled or too demanding or as though you are too
soft. Give as generously as you can. I think it is a good thing to do.

Schuyler