Re: Naomi Aldort on TV & junk food

Deb Lewis

*** For example, choosing sugar is shaped by the addictive nature of sugar; it is not a free choice. ***

I really like sweets. My husband really likes sweets. When we were growing up sweets were rare treats for us. Our folks didn't have much money. David's (dh) mom baked, she liked sweets too, but my mom didn't like baking. She made bread, that was about it. Well into our thirties, David and I could sit and eat a whole package of cookies, or if I baked, polish off a cake in a couple of days. David still stashes candy around the house. I find M&M's rolling around in the desk drawer. <g>

If sugar is addictive then our child, the genetic spawn of two sweets loving people, who grew up in a house where sweet foods were always available, should be floundering in a sugary haze. He doesn't much care for sweets. When he was little and would go out on halloween, he'd come home and give his candy to his dad. David would eat all the good stuff and then the bag would sit around for months and finally get thrown out.

I could have decided Dylan was doomed to a life of sugar addiction because both his parents liked sweets. But I had read some ideas that it was the rareness of sweets in a kids life that made them more valuable and I wondered if Dylan could have a better sense of balance than his dad and I had. Dylan has never eaten a candy bar. He's never eaten Twinkies or any of the other packaged Twinkie like things. He doesn't like pie. He doesn't eat sweet cereal. He doesn't like hard candy or soft candy or gummy candy. He doesn't like Kool-Aid. He drinks cola.

I still really like sweets. I bake a lot. I don't feel guilty about it anymore. I don't feel like I shouldn't be eating it, I enjoy sweets and I eat them whenever I want. But it turns out, I eat less than I did twenty years ago or even ten years ago. Something about knowing I can have whatever I want, whenever I want it and that I won't punish myself with guilt about it has made that difference.

So, I don't believe sugar is addictive. I believe some people naturally like sweets more than others and I believe our attitude about sugar, about any food, creates more problems than the food itself. I think one of the best things we can do to ensure a healthy attitude about foods for our kids is to not screw up their psychology with fear and guilt and dire warnings.

Deb Lewis