question on resources for adults

I'm vague on these things and am hoping people here will have more knowledge.

I got an e-mail:
__________

Hello, Sandra. I am so happy to have found your site and your abundance of ideas.

I am a middle-aged man, did not enjoy my public school experience from nursery-school onward, and was a poor student through high school.

After years of occupational floundering, I am now a college sophomore at a state university and doing very well academically, but again feeling disillusioned by conventional, institutional curriculum and faculty which seem mostly oriented toward enforcing/rewarding rote procedure.

While I genuinely value this opportunity and where it may lead, it ultimately feels lacking in actual education (no matter how heavy the workload).

I understand this is not exactly what you address, but do you have any "un-schooling" advice for adults, how to make the most of such a context, or constructive alternatives to augment this experience with either parallel studies or unfamiliar perspectives? Are there online communities which address these interests and concerns?

Thank you for your time, and for your site.
__________
My response:

I don't think there are yet, but probably will be someday. I think there are some colleges that will give credit for outside experiences, but i really don't know which ones they are. I've heard stories over the years.

-=-I understand this is not exactly what you address, but do you have any "un-schooling" advice for adults, how to make the most of such a context, or constructive alternatives to augment this experience with either parallel studies or unfamiliar perspectives?-=-

I'll ask some people and get back with you, but in general, as to the things I deal with, I would recommend that you look at changing your own perspective about what is "learning" and what is not. When the world is divided into "actual education" (your phrase) and other things, it's a false dichotomy. The more you think about learning and the less you think about "education" (or teaching, or school, or classes) the more you'll see learning everywhere.

Until I get back with you, maybe look at these things:\

http://sandradodd.com/teaching
http://sandradodd.com/deschooling

Sandra
What else should I tell him? I really don't know.