Re: TV

Melody Flurry <imagine1harmony@...>

Thank you for pointing out the fact that I wasn't very mindful of my statement and made an incorrect broad generalization. I did not mean to sound as though I think all advertising is bad (especially since my husband works in this field!). I actually like certain commercials, especially ones that I find amusing. Let me clarify somewhat--It seems that certain commercials which air on stations that are geared toward children try to make it seem as though kids need this or that toy in order to be fantastically happy. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting their intent. In any case, it bothers me that sometimes after viewing these commercials, my children will say "Can we get that?" and when I say no, and explain why I made that decision (for the expense of it, for example) then they sometimes (not always) get upset. I guess my point is that if they weren't bombarded with advertising during their favorite programs, I wouldn't occasionally have to go through this discussion. Not
that I mind having discussions with them, I guess it has more to do with helping them get to a place where they can understand that sometimes what you see isn't what you get, or to help them understand that just because you want something doesn't mean that it is wise to get it. I might want a new car--regardless of where I saw it--but it might not be wise to buy it if it puts me under financial stress.

I really have to apologize, because I think my comment--which I did not put enough thought into when I wrote it--caused a concern that I didn't intend. I'm not against advertising, and I do feel that everyone has the capability to discern what they want and need (children as well as adults). It's just that sometimes I don't feel the need to discuss a commercial relating to drugs that treat genital herpes to my kids, but maybe that's just me! And maybe the reason I get annoyed with toy commercials has more to do with a sense of want and need among people in third world countries, who don't have clean water much less 4 different colors of supersize floam, than it does with my kids wanting something (only sometimes, not always!) Thanks for helping me to examine the reasons behind my statement.

Melody

Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:
> I don't like the fact that sometimes my children watch TV and
then come to me wanting everything they see.
-=-The logic of this, though, is troubling-=-

And the statement of it troubled me.

"Sometimes" they want "everything"?

When parents make statements about children without carefully and
mindfully considering every word and every thought, they're not being
as careful as they need to be. When the statements are made in
writing in public, it's even more important.

Nobody wants "everything they see" but hundreds of thousands of
parents like to say things like that without thinking clearly, just
speaking parent-lines.

How is "the right way" to decide someone wants something? Those same
people who might get bristly at the cereal shelves at a mainstream
grocery store can go all soft and content at Wild Oats, though the
marketing strategy is just the same and the prices are way higher and
the quality might be a little higher.

If commercials are of the devil, and marketting strategy is
manipulation, is it okay to decide to want Zoombinis because Jocelyn
Vilter or Kelly Lovejoy thinks it's great? (I think it's great too;
that's not my point.)

Is it okay to decide to buy something because of a review in a
magazine? On a website? Consumer reports? I bought a dishwasher
last month, by reading Consumer Reports. Is that more virtuous than
if I had let a nice salesman kinda choose one for me and persuade
me? But our renters are probably going to get one just like I got,
because I told them they could buy one and give us the receipt (the
tenant can install it; very cool), but told them I really liked mine
and gave them a copy of that same report.

What if one of us saw a spiffy TV ad for that very model of
dishwasher. Then would we be somehow bound to ignore that to proove
we could think for ourselves?

Villifying something is a danger to our own clear thinking.

Sandra

Yahoo! Groups Links

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.