Would you rather be right or be happy and the "Lost Cause"?

David Markham

In so many unfortunate ways, my life and career have traveled the roads of Civil War history. Actually, more than Civil War history, it’s the history of white supremacy. In telling my story, I hope to shed a different light on American history that many of us would sooner ignore: the histories of slavery, of Reconstruction, of segregation, of lynching, of corrupt economic systems, of the painful process of desegregation, and of the myth of the Lost Cause of the Confederacy.

Seidule, Ty. Robert E. Lee and Me (p. 8). St. Martin's Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

I am amazed at Ty Seidule’s humility and willingness to change his mind about his understanding of American History. In A Course In Miracles one of its most famous passages is the sentence, “Would you rather be right or be happy?” It makes me so happy that  Seidule is choosing to be happy rather than right given his old way of thinking about the Lost Cause of the Confederacy.

To what extent do you think that other people who believe in the Lost Cause will change their minds if they read Seidule’s book?

Becky Lindroos

LOL _ I don’t think that’s the choice most confederate-loving Southerners have, David. I think they’re torn between being happy and dreadfully wrong (the state of denial) or dreadfully unhappy but right (the state of understanding their old views and everything they were raised on was wrong). That’s a big loss. There’s a lot of grieving to do.

I think living in the North gives some of us the idea that we’ve always been right in this conflict so we’re the really good ones - the happy ones. :-)

And it might be easier up North where minorities aren’t so populous as to provoke fear in the racist whites and history doesn’t stir up memories and stories of being beaten. That’s how it was when I was a kid - how could you be racist against something you’d never seen? - My grandmother was seriously prejudiced against Catholics and was scared to death when Kennedy was elected. The worst thing she ever said about Blacks was that they and whites should go to different churches. (My grandparents lived winters in Thorsby Alabama (a good Scandinavian town) from about 1900 to 1960 (?) She probably saw a good gospel service or two and it just didn’t look right - Her Lutheran joy had her singing Joy to the World like dirge - Faith of Our Fathers at Larghissimo was standard.

I was brought up to understand that it wasn’t the Negroes' fault they were born black. What kind of attitude it that? It’s a good Norwegian Lutheran one - we’re all equal but Norwegians are more equal than others.

I think I might have read this in the REL book but not necessarily. Every time some new progressive idea comes along and makes any headway at all - Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, School desegregation, Affirmative Action, Restitution, removal of statues and/or renaming (is that cancel culture?), Black Lives Matter - the Lost Cause sympathizers and their accompanying white supremacists, raise their pointy heads and bring back their old ideas about race. It’s happening today - here are the neo-Nazis showing up in various guises at rallies and marches and “insurrections.”

I think some of them are like cockroaches - you can beat them back out of sight, but getting rid of them? Nope - it’ll need doing again in 6 months. And my attitude is “do it anyway."

Becky

On Jul 3, 2021, at 7:13 PM, David Markham <davidgmarkham@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Jim Harris

David, you said, "It makes me so happy that  Seidule is choosing to be happy rather than right given his old way of thinking about the Lost Cause of the Confederacy." Didn't Seidule decide to be right? Isn't knowing the truth right? But doesn't knowing the truth make you happy?

I'd rather know the truth in all situations (I think). But I'm guessing you're interpreting the Course of Miracles statement differently.

Jim

David Markham

Hi Jim et al.

Yes, the Course In Miracles phrase, "Would you rather be right or be happy" means to stay stuck in your old way of thinking on the ego plane or shift to the world of Spirit (Love)..

To understand A Course In Miracles one must understand its metaphysics. It sees our experience as occurring in the world of the ego or the world of Spirit(Love). The basic idea is that the Divine is Oneness, nonduality. What we humans have done is separated ourselves from this Oneness thinking we could be the authors of our own world instead of remaining with the Divine. As a result we have created our own hell in a world of fear, anger, resentment, grievance, and sorrow. The Course teaches we have a choice between willfulness and willingness. If we choose willfulness, the need to be right, we are creating a hell for ourselves. If we choose willingness, acceptance of God's will and Truth, we will be happy.

Seidule chose the path of Love which is where Truth resides rather than the path of willfulness, being right, which is the road to hell.

The Course writes in its introduction - "The course does not aim at teaching the meaning of love, for that is beyond what can be taught. It does aim, however, at removing the blocks to the awareness of love's presence, which is your natural inheritance."

And so Seidule in giving up his belief in the Lost Cause Of The Confederacy made a choice for Truth and Love rather than being right and this leads to happiness.

David Markham