REL - Q7

Becky Lindroos

Q7: • Seidule argues that lynching and Confederate monuments serve the same purpose. What is the purpose? Do you agree?

Becky Lindroos

Q7: • Seidule argues that lynching and Confederate monuments serve the same purpose. What is the purpose? Do you agree?

The purpose of lynchings and Confederate monuments tends to be the same in some places anyway - where the victims are Black. It’s to show racial superiority. A monument shows it a lot less aggressively than a lynching. A lynching directly instills fear in the other race. A monument doesn’t do that so much. What can a monument do? What can a lynch mob do?

In almost all cases lynchings show superiority to the law. Monuments almost never do that.

Becky

On Jul 9, 2021, at 7:58 PM, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Q7: • Seidule argues that lynching and Confederate monuments serve the same purpose. What is the purpose? Do you agree?

Oops:

On Jul 9, 2021, at 8:17 PM, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

In almost all cases lynchings show superiority to the law. Monuments almost never do that.
If you believe that Confederate soldiers were traitors, then monuments to those traitors show someone thinks they’re above the law.

Becky

Jeffrey Taylor

Well, now that you mention it.  Even without the traitor label, Lynching's involve illegally taking, superseding, the the law.  While it is true Monuments cannot be described as activists they do stand for something.  They stand, frozen in time while social values may change.

On Friday, July 9, 2021, 09:19:09 PM EDT, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:

Oops:

> On Jul 9, 2021, at 8:17 PM, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
>
> In almost all cases lynchings show superiority to the law. Monuments almost never do that.

If you believe that Confederate soldiers were traitors, then monuments to those traitors show someone thinks they’re above the law.

Northwood’s statues - a Viking and a farmer - our heroes.

Becky