Morning meditation

David Markham

As a student of A Course In Miracles for over 30 years I continue to use the workbook of daily lessons for contemplation. Today's lesson for me is #315, "All gifts my brothers give belong to me."

I wondered where I would be without the millions of shoulders I stand on and the hundreds of thousands in all the supply chains that provide for my needs and nurturing.

One of the things that pops into my mind is this Allnonfiction list and all the people that contribute here to keep it alive with the various ideas expressed. Especially to Becky for keeping it going and this month to Jeff for suggesting Robert E. Lee and Me which is one of the most important books I have read in a long time providing me with a deeper understanding of the culture and society I am living in.

Thank you to each and every one of you who contributes here. My life is richer, fuller, and more satisfying because of it.

David Markham

Becky Lindroos

And thanks to you too, David! You ask the best-est questions! I also like that we take a full month for each book. Less time would be too light a touch on some of these books, but more time might get boring. Thank you to all who nominated these fantastic books! I have a feeling that some of the nominations which did not get selected were equally good and I’m starting to putt them on my wish list hoping I have time to pursue a few.

This month it’s been kind of amazing how I thought I was okay about race before the book, but I think it gave me a deeper understanding of both the Black perspective and the less accepting white perspective. They (some of them) are losing something - their old ideas’; the heritage with which they were raised; the focus of their rage at whatever else is wrong in their world. I don’t sympathize with them at all - but I kind of pity them. It was hard for Seidule to come to terms with the facts of the matter and he was a professor of history teacher at a well integrated military school.

Giving up your old ways is not just a matter of knowledge or intelligence - it’s an emotional deal, too.

Becky

On Jul 26, 2021, at 8:31 AM, David Markham <davidgmarkham@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Jeffrey Taylor

Nicely written.  Hence the value of books.

One of my takeaways from my association with the college English department: After all the work associated with publishing, writing and rewriting drafts, editorial reviews and discussions, decent works require slow reading.

For the first time I am rewriting or perhaps re-drafting a paper I had written.  It is harder than I imagined.  I found that I have really made a mental commitment to the first version or at least an emotional attachment.  After three weeks I have finished the first 10 pages and have an insert that I intend to write that will appear near the beginning.  I already realize when I finish the first draft of this second draft of the first paper I will have to go back an trim.  After I write the conclusion I will need to delete whatever is in there that is not related to the conclusion.

How many drafts and changes do published writers go through before we see the printed work?  There are six of seven extent drafts to Thoreau's Walden.  I wonder how many drafts there were of  Seidule's book?  How many times did the book evolve?  How does the book relate to the speech he gave at Washington and Lee, just before the book was published?  How many other pre-publication presentations were there and did any of then change the drafts and proofs of the manuscript before publication?  I think there is a lot of pride of workmanship in his book so I expect there were refinements during the process.

Just as we readers experience as we read the book.