Chapter 4 - Mycelial Minds

Becky Lindroos

Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens? Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna

Why? (Your friends were doing it, spiritual experience, it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)

Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?

*******
Terence McKenna (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Becky

Merilee Olson

Scares me too much.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna

Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)

Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?

*******
Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Becky

Jeffrey Taylor

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 12:27:21 AM EST, Merilee Olson <merilee.olson@...> wrote:

Scares me too much.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna

Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)

Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?

*******
Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Yes - I took LSD 2 times. Long ago and far away. My late hubby talked me in to it in 1969 (I think). The second time was yukkie so I quit and I quit smoking pot, too. Quite honestly I really never did like pot or any “drugs.” I never did Psilocybin or mescaline/Peyote a hallucinogen that comes from a small cactus.

Becky

On Nov 15, 2021, at 1:19 AM, Jeffrey Taylor via groups.io <jatta97@...> wrote:

[...]

David Markham

The current practice and research is being done with "micro doses". It is different from days of yore when people took much larger doses and went on a "trip" for several hours.

I have some clients who use micro doses like once a month and report it is a big help with their mood and cognitive organization. The problem now days is that the quality control for the drug ingested and strength is not available so one never knows for sure what is being ingested.

I, myself, have never used them. I see no need.

Here is a great presentation by James Fadiman about the question of micro dosing and what he calls "citizen science."

David Markham

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:55 AM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
Yes - I took LSD 2 times.  Long ago and far away.  My late hubby talked me in to it in 1969 (I think).  The second time was yukkie so I quit and I quit smoking pot, too.  Quite honestly I really never did like pot or any “drugs.”   I never did Psilocybin or mescaline/Peyote a hallucinogen that comes from a small cactus.

Becky

> On Nov 15, 2021, at 1:19 AM, Jeffrey Taylor via groups.io <jatta97=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> On Monday, November 15, 2021, 12:27:21 AM EST, Merilee Olson <merilee.olson@...> wrote:
>

> Scares me too much.
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
> Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna
>
> Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)
>
> Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?
>
> *******
> Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and
>
> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
>
> Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
>
> Becky

johannakurz

I never took Magic Mushroom but my brother tried it in Bali. It must have been quite an experience and it was offered in a restaurant ...in an omlette.
I took LSD when I was young...needed someone who guarded me because I always wanted to lay down on the street and watch the oncoming cars...actually the lights fascinated me. I quit after I experienced a horror trip. Wanted to throw myself down a high rising building. When on LSD I wrote a lot of poetry. It was really good but it always dealt with death.
I also smoked pot....only with other people and because of fun....I loved to philosophize when I was stoned.
I quit taking it when I got pregnant also wuut drinking alcohol. 20 years ago I smoked some grass again but the pulse went up and I felt awful....so never again.
I hardly drink anything...occasionally a beer or a glas of wine.
I also quit smoking cigarettes...was a chain smoker....and quit drinking coffee....I was addicted to it..I drank 3 pots a day.
Now I am trying to stop with sugar...my last addiction...and probably with reading and books...lol

Johanna

Von meinem/meiner Galaxy gesendet

Von: Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...>
Datum: 15.11.21 04:58 (GMT+01:00)
An: AllNonfiction@groups.io
Betreff: [AllNonfiction] Chapter 4 - Mycelial Minds

Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna

Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)

Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?

*******
Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Yes, I’ve heard the newer psychedelics are less powerful - except pot. The street pot these days is stronger. (I would have no idea.). I didn’t mention it but the last time I used any kind of recreational type drug was 1980 or ’81 - before my booze sobriety date.

I heard that today’s LSD is like simple color trips. What we took back in the day was very powerful and yes, the “trip” lasted for 8 hours or maybe more, 12 or 13 hours. We had “guides” - a friend or two who watched out for us while we were “tripping.” As I said, I didn’t care for the effects so after 2 times I quit. No mas. Not until the FDA approves it. That’s what I said at the time but I’ve never even been tempted in the least.

I’m listening to that link you sent. I recognize the name Sandoz for sure. I think that might have been East Coast (?). We did Owsley’s products which came out of Berkeley. The main types were called “Blue Cheer” and “Orange Marmalade” and other things.

I guess this is one of those “I did my own own research” things. (Like the Covid mask horse dewormer stuff?) ?? I tried cocaine once or twice (at most) and it only made me stay up so I could drink more. That was fine. I tried valium one time but it was for anxiety and my bro-in-law pressured me. I would never fit in an NA meeting. LOL!

Indigenous peoples - like the guy Carlos Castaneda met out there on the desert? I didn’t care much for those books. I really have a kind of aversion to most drugs.

My drugs are prescribed plus aspiring,Tylenol, ibuprofen, calcium and vitamins.

I think the data we have on most meds is that people have been using them for years - if there’s something wrong with taking Tylenol we’d know by now - and the doctors do know some.

Becky

On Nov 15, 2021, at 8:09 AM, David Markham <davidgmarkham@...> wrote:

[...]

I’m the same with coffee, Johanna. I used to drink about 3 pots a day but at some point that just slowed down. Now I drink 3 cups maybe and then I go for the decaf. Sleeping is hard enough without adding stimulants.

Sugar can be a problem for some people.

There are lots of things to become addicted to - sex and gambling, video games. Of the chemical variety I found these:

Tobacco (Nicotine) – Over 40 Million
Alcohol – 18 Million
Marijuana – 4.2 Million
Painkillers – 1.8 Million
Cocaine – 821,000
Heroin – 426,000
Benzodiazepines – 400,000
Stimulants – 329,000
Inhalants – 140,000
Sedatives (Barbiturates) – 78,000
https://www.addictioncenter.com/addiction/10-most-common-addictions/

Back in the day we didn’t think that marijuana was addictive but I understand the stuff they sell these days is so powerful it probably is. I have a friend who is very hooked on pot but says she isn’t addicted because you can’t be. She’s a bit older than I am - she’s going by old standards.

Becky

Von: Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...>
Datum: 15.11.21 04:58 (GMT+01:00)
An: AllNonfiction@groups.io

Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens? Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna

Why? (Your friends were doing it, spiritual experience, it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)

Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?

*******
Terence McKenna (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085

Becky

Carol Mannchen

Okay, I drink too much.  Possibly, I am an alcoholic, not sure.  Covid has certainly not helped.  I have never taken any kind of street drug, including pot.  I was up in Nova Scotia last year for 2 1/2 months and still did not take advantage of the opportunity to try pot.  But for pain, I might do it at some point.

A thing happened to my family while I was in college a long time ago that made me afraid of drugs.  My Dad had an incident of mixing a couple of beers with some anti-depressants, and it damn near killed him.  This was back when Librium and Valium were brand new meds.  It was scary and turned me off drugs and experimenting.  I'm not really even very adventurous when it comes to food.

Smoking -- I smoked from 1965-1985, quit after my Mom died.  That was a blessing.

Carol Mannchen

Hermitage, TN
oldlawmom@...
615-310-4504

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:10 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
> [...]

> > Scares me too much.
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
> > Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna
> >
> > Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)
> >
> > Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?
> >
> > *******
> > Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and
> >
> > https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
> >
> > Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

Magda

I must say that I find consciousness and reality as is fascinating enough, so I don’t do drugs at all. I might be allergic to marijuana, as it a cousin of ragweed, and I found that out the hard way a couple of times as well, so I don’t do it either.
Actually, my older son ordered magic mushrooms once when he was still living with us, and we were to try them together - me watching him, and then vice versa.  We had them at home for a few years, he managed to move out and get married, and plans stayed plans :).  He reported trying them not so long ago, but I never did.

Magda

On Nov 15, 2021, at 9:09 AM, David Markham <davidgmarkham@...> wrote:

The current practice and research is being done with "micro doses". It is different from days of yore when people took much larger doses and went on a "trip" for several hours.

I have some clients who use micro doses like once a month and report it is a big help with their mood and cognitive organization. The problem now days is that the quality control for the drug ingested and strength is not available so one never knows for sure what is being ingested.

I, myself, have never used them. I see no need.

Here is a great presentation by James Fadiman about the question of micro dosing and what he calls "citizen science."

David Markham

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:55 AM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
Yes - I took LSD 2 times.  Long ago and far away.  My late hubby talked me in to it in 1969 (I think).  The second time was yukkie so I quit and I quit smoking pot, too.  Quite honestly I really never did like pot or any “drugs.”   I never did Psilocybin or mescaline/Peyote a hallucinogen that comes from a small cactus.

Becky

> On Nov 15, 2021, at 1:19 AM, Jeffrey Taylor via groups.io <jatta97=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> On Monday, November 15, 2021, 12:27:21 AM EST, Merilee Olson <merilee.olson@...> wrote:
>

> Scares me too much.
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
> Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna
>
> Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)
>
> Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?
>
> *******
> Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and
>
> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
>
> Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
>
> Becky

Merilee Olson

I’m with you on reality being fascinating enough, Magda.  Have never been interested in psychedelics.  I tried pot eons ago but like Bill Clinton(🤣) didn’t/ couldn’t inhale. Have never smoked cigarettes and except for tiny occasional sips of dark beer, don’t like alcohol.  Caffeine doesn’t agree with me (except in chocolate). Did eat a pot-filled oatmeal cookie once, and did NOT like the effects, which kicked in while I was driving…

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 7:08 AM Magda <fotka.kalinowska@...> wrote:
I must say that I find consciousness and reality as is fascinating enough, so I don’t do drugs at all. I might be allergic to marijuana, as it a cousin of ragweed, and I found that out the hard way a couple of times as well, so I don’t do it either.
Actually, my older son ordered magic mushrooms once when he was still living with us, and we were to try them together - me watching him, and then vice versa.  We had them at home for a few years, he managed to move out and get married, and plans stayed plans :).  He reported trying them not so long ago, but I never did.

Magda

On Nov 15, 2021, at 9:09 AM, David Markham <davidgmarkham@...> wrote:

The current practice and research is being done with "micro doses". It is different from days of yore when people took much larger doses and went on a "trip" for several hours.

I have some clients who use micro doses like once a month and report it is a big help with their mood and cognitive organization. The problem now days is that the quality control for the drug ingested and strength is not available so one never knows for sure what is being ingested.

I, myself, have never used them. I see no need.

Here is a great presentation by James Fadiman about the question of micro dosing and what he calls "citizen science."

David Markham

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 2:55 AM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
Yes - I took LSD 2 times.  Long ago and far away.  My late hubby talked me in to it in 1969 (I think).  The second time was yukkie so I quit and I quit smoking pot, too.  Quite honestly I really never did like pot or any “drugs.”   I never did Psilocybin or mescaline/Peyote a hallucinogen that comes from a small cactus.

Becky

> On Nov 15, 2021, at 1:19 AM, Jeffrey Taylor via groups.io <jatta97=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

> On Monday, November 15, 2021, 12:27:21 AM EST, Merilee Olson <merilee.olson@...> wrote:
>

> Scares me too much.
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
> Have you ever experimented with hallucinogens?  Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybin, LSD or ???) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna
>
> Why? (Your friends were doing it,  spiritual experience,  it sounded fun, health reasons, part of a scientific study, other?)
>
> Any opinions on if they might be beneficial to individuals with problems?
>
> *******
> Terence McKenna  (and Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary and
>
> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
>
> Fwiw, psilocybin is classified as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for misuse and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
> https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-magic-mushrooms-22085
>
> Becky

Becky Lindroos

My late husband used to grow marijuana for personal use. He had some big lovely plants. When we moved from San Jose back to Porterville (1976) he harvested the one big plant he had left. He dried it and packaged it up and that was that. One day a couple months later he made some pot tea. Okay fine. He put it in a mason jar and put that in the refrigerator - it was just for him anyway.

Well, either that very night or the next, I saw the jar in the fridge and thought to myself that it sure would make a nice batch of French onion soup - (I thought it was chicken broth which I’ve regularly made myself since I was 20 or so.) - Later that evening we were all sitting around the dining room table and I’m tasting the soup and thinking well, this is a little bland - lol!. Tim asked what I’d used. I started to tell him and the realization floated up into my mind - "You dummy! You made pot soup!”

No one was impressed - . I had to throw it all out (about 1 1/2 quarts). The kids didn’t like onion soup at it’s best and this wasn’t anything really - onion-pot soup (because tea for broth).

Becky

On Nov 16, 2021, at 3:55 PM, Merilee Olson <merilee.olson@...> wrote:

[...]

Emoji

Herbert Lewis <herbertlewis@...>

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 04:08 AM, Magda wrote:
I find consciousness and reality as is fascinating enough, so I don’t do drugs at all.

Magda, Sheldrake speculated about the possibility that the use of hallucinatory effects of "magic mushrooms" might actually enhance your perception of reality.

 He quotes the philosopher David Abram as explaining:  "It takes less cognitive effort to make sense of the world using preconceived images updated with a small amount of new sensory information than to constantly form entirely new perceptions from scratch."  In fact Sheldrake cites authors who claim that our perceptions are formed by our expectations and are only occasionally interrupted by unexpected events.  Most of what we perceive as reality is formed by our preconceptions and presuppositions (most significantly, our Weltanschauung).

Sheldrake wrote "Fungi, too, trick us out of our preconceptions."  When he wrote that he was referring to the study of fungi behavior and characteristics.  He describes how the more he's "studied fungi, the more my expectations have loosened and the more familiar concepts started to appear unfamiliar."  In describing his participation in an experiment involving ingesting LSD he also related experimenters using the drug to induce imaginative solutions to their scientific problems by loosening the knots of their preconceptions and presuppositions or reality.  The author himself participated by taking a controlled LSD dosage and spending his "high" time considering "the lives of the blue flowers, Voyria" and how they managed to live without photosynthesis.

This possibility holds no attraction for me because of the widely reported potential for adverse unintended side effects.    I have never tried recreational drugs with the exception of alcohol.  I have a beer or two for dinner most evenings and occasionally a shot or two of JD.  But I've never imbibed alcohol with the intent of enhancing my perception of reality.  Nonetheless, I suppose even my liquor consumption would qualify as relevant to Bekah's question.  Beer is brewed and whiskey is distilled with the aid of yeast and yeast is a form of fungi.

Magda

 I suppose it may be true that fungi may just be challenging and enhancing our perception of reality, even though I've never had any real epiphanies after drinking red wine, which is my fungi mediated drug of choice;)
Our reality may just be a string of well trodden perceptions, ideas and relationships. It probably works in a similar way to our vision- we see only part of the picture in front of our eyes at any given moment.  The rest is handily provided by our very clever brain.  All of it is based on the fact that reality as we know it is most of the time comfortably predictable, and something our brain has been handling all our lives.  It's difficult to break through that.
It is possible that psychedelics get away or create havoc with all these well trodden pathways.  People talk about becoming one with global consciousness, but I found Michael Pollan’s ‘dissolution of ego’ to be the most appealing description.  People become consciousness with no ‘I’ attached, ready to explore, become something or someone else, or just be. Sheldrake ‘became’ the plant he studied, did he not? Maybe even ‘zombie’ ants with intact brains are happily not ants anymore?  I would like that, but who knows:)  I am sure the possibilities are endless.
It's all very interesting, I agree.
Magda