RATING TIME! “Robert E. Lee and Me"

Becky Lindroos

Hi everybody,

It’s rating time! Please rate “Robert E. Lee and Me: A Southerner’s Reckoning” byTy Seidule on a numeric scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest) and briefly explain the general reasons for your rating. You can use the rationale below however you wish, but please do NOT feel bound by it in any way. :-)

10 Exceptionally good book -
9 Excellent book -
8 Very good book -
7 Good book
6 An okay book overall-
5 Mixed - some good parts, some poor
4 Generally poor
3 Awful (maybe barely bothered to finish)
2 Don't waste your time (didn’t even finish)
1 Stuuuu-pid (offensively poor and maybe barely started)

*Note if you didn’t finish because it was so bad I’d say that’s a 1 or a 2 at most. If you didn’t finish for some other reason you're still welcome to rate it if you at least started it (if you are able to determine a rating). Or if you finished the book awhile back, send in a rating. And if you finish a month or so from now it’s fine to send in a rating then. :-)

In thinking about a rating you might want to consider anything from simple enjoyment value (or lack thereof) to the quality or quantity of sources, the subject matter and presentation, graphics, etc. - whatever struck you as a factor in your response to the book.

Thank you,
Becky

David Markham

I give Robert E. Lee and Me a 9.5.

Robert E. Lee and me is  a very important book because it describes the author's personal journey as he comes to terms with the racist past and describes how racism has been solidified in various aspects of our culture in the United States via the teaching of history with certain textbooks, the use of iconic symbols such as the confederate flag and monuments valorizing traitors to the nation, and fueling social institutions such as the arts, religion, educational institutions, etc. with what he calls the "Lost Cause Myth."

Seidule describes a culture stuck at an ethnocentric level of development having difficulty moving on to a worldcentric stage. Seidule makes this paralysis all the more poignant as he describes his own development contextualized in the society which conditioned and socialized him. His own liberation from denial and deceit parallels a societal awakening which may be facilitated by his willingness and ability to tell his personal story.

This book should be widely read and I have already given away about 5 copies to people who I think might appreciate it.

Thanks again to Jeff for recommending it. I probably would not have read it had it not been selected by the people in this group. So thanks to all of you.

David Markham

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 10:00 AM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
[...]

I’ll give Robert E. Lee & Me a 10. It was wonderfully well researched and written. It held my attention for two readings (in fact it was better on the second reading). It was a appropriately personal account. Thank you to whomever nominated it and all those who voted for it.

Becky

On Jul 27, 2021, at 9:00 AM, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

johannakurz

I give it a 9.

Johanna

Von meinem/meiner Galaxy gesendet

Von: Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...>
Datum: 27.07.21 16:00 (GMT+01:00)
An: AllNonfiction@groups.io
Betreff: [AllNonfiction] RATING TIME! “Robert E. Lee and Me"

[...]

Jeffrey Taylor

10  This book needs to be read.  It is pertinent to all the removal discussions from monuments to base and street names.

On Tuesday, July 27, 2021, 10:00:18 AM EDT, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeanne

A definite 10 from me. Chapter 4 (the Chapel chapter) was what really grabbed me first. Before that the book was very good, but nothing truly surprised me. From that point on, I learned so much, and truly appreciate Seidule's sharing. No one else could have done it so well IMO.
As an important aside, heartfelt thanks to DavidM for his wonderful questions, which I discussed with my husband. I was unable to participate here almost entirely due to sadly too common internet outages here and the additional recent monsoon outages. Infrastructure matters!!!

On July 27, 2021, at 7:00 AM, Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

Michele

I haven't quite finished it, but I give it a 10 as well. It's very well-written, the author is uniquely qualified, and the subject is oh-so-timely. Bravo to Seidule!

Michele

[...]

Jim Harris

10 - it's an important book.

Jim Harris

34butternut@gmail.com

I also rate this a 10. I read it at the same time I was reading The Water Dancer by Ta_Nehisi Coates. It was an incredible juxtaposition with each book informing the other. I have been recommending both.

Carol