Awakening in a white supremacist and racist society.

David Markham

Hi Becky:

Great news!

Thanks for posting it.

This is progress and will change the thoughts of future generations.

This kind of institutional change has a huge bearing on individual development and attitude. These changes are no small things but promise huge advances for the future.

David Markham
image.png

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 7:48 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
There is progress:
Seidule didn’t include this info although he maybe could have - REL was published in 1/26/2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Army_installations_named_for_Confederate_soldiers

In July 2020, U.S. Army general Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a House Armed Services Committee hearing that prominent Army bases named for rebel generals are divisive and can be offensive to black people in uniform, noting that the Army is about 20% black. Soldiers on a base named after a Confederate general "can be reminded that that general fought for the institution of slavery that may have enslaved one of their ancestors," Milley said. He recommended creating a commission to study the matter.[11]

On July 24, 2020, the U.S. Senate overwhelmingly passed Senate Bill S. 4049, their version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which included a provision that the 10 army bases named after prominent Confederate military leaders be renamed.[12] Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts said that she added the provision to the defense bill to rename the bases that "honor individuals who took up arms against our nation, in a war that killed more than half a million Americans."[13] A month after the 2020 presidential election, the U.S. House of Representatives approved the revised version of the bill on December 8,[14] and the Senate followed with a vote to approve on December 11.[15]

*** Trump vetoed the bill on December 23,[16] but the veto was overturned in the House on December 28[17] and in the Senate on January 1, 2021.[18]

Becky

> [...]
>
> The final and largest army post in Virginia is Fort Lee. Today, Fort Lee is the home of army logistics. While the U.S. Army has superb infantry and incredible tankers, our true claim to fame is logistics. During World War II, the army supported fighting in Italy, France, and all over the Pacific simultaneously. African American truckers accounted for nearly 75 percent of the famed Red Ball Express supplying George S. Patton’s Third Army in the march against the German Wehrmacht in 1944 and 1945.19
>
> Seidule, Ty. Robert E. Lee and Me (pp. 149-150). St. Martin's Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
>
> As a kid growing up in the 50s and 60s and later as an adult and today as a wise elder, I have been perplexed at the monuments and naming of governmental installations after confederate war leaders. It never made sense to me, and now reading Seidule’s book I am coming to realize that white supremacy and racism is baked deeply into American culture, distorting an accurate view and understanding of our history.
>
> With the deep cultural reverence and adulation for traitors and racists, it is perfectly understandable how President Trump would say after the murderous rally in Charlottesville that we have “good people on both sides,” and continue to perpetuate the Lost Cause Myth.
>
> With the countryside littered with Army bases named after Confederate army officials and their monuments proudly revered on governmental properties and communities across the country is it any wonder that the country still is confused and in denial about our fundamental values as a democracy?
>
> Most of my life I have been confused as a northern boy raised in New York State in the later half of the Twentieth Century. I can’t imagine what I would believe if I had been raised and educated in the South like Seidule.
>
> Culture heavily influences and conditions individual growth and development and consciousness. Seidule makes this point repeatedly that he has been miseducated and duped by a society and educational institutions which kept him in the dark about its ugly values, beliefs, and practices. Like John Newton, Ty Seidule and I both, can sing the great song, Amazing Grace, “I was blind but now I see.” How long before the rest of our fellow citizens catch up and come to know the truth?
>
>       • In what kind of a culture and school system were you raised and educated?
>       • How much did you know in your formative years about America’s white supremacist and racist past?
>       • To what extent were you educated about accurate history of the Lost Cause myth if at all?
>       • To what extent do you think you are woke? 50% 75%, 100%.
>       • How much has Seidule’s book awakened you to the historical facts about white supremacy and systemic racism in America today? 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%?

Becky Lindroos

On Jul 24, 2021, at 6:35 PM, David Markham <davidgmarkham@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

  1. In what kind of a culture and school system were you raised and educated?

  2. How much did you know in your formative years about America’s white supremacist and racist past?

  3. To what extent were you educated about accurate history of the Lost Cause myth if at all?

  4. To what extent do you think you are woke? 50% 75%, 100%.

  5. How much has Seidule’s book awakened you to the historical facts about white supremacy and systemic racism in America today? 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%?

image.gif