Re: EL - The Intimacy of Strangers - chapter 3!!! -

Merilee Olson

I heard Margolis lecture in person maybe 20 years ago.  She did some very impressive work but she was not a great lecturer.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 2:49 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@...> wrote:
I forgot to send this:

What do you know of Lynn Margolis, another badly treated woman in the field of biology with ground-breaking studies in evolution and Gaia Theory (a geoscientist I suppose).  But theories don't break any ground until they’re acknowledged and published which sometimes takes decades and stinging rejection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Margulis

(Unlike Potter - Margulis had unconventional and controversial ideas about lots of things including 9/11. Margulis attributed quite a lot of evolution to symbiosis (which is a major element of Chapter 3.)

This seems a lot like the “horizontal gene transfer”  we read about in David Quamman’s “The Tangled Tree.”  (And I think I’ve lost my copy of that book!)

And then there’s Toby Spribille of Montana (book Chapter 3 locations 1489 - 1542)
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/07/how-a-guy-from-a-montana-trailer-park-upturned-150-years-of-biology/491702/