Re: The segregated south was a racial police state.

Becky Lindroos

I doubt any of the kids in my classes were on Ritalin - if they were I didn’t know about it. I had some parents ask about it but my opinion was always no - not yet. Let’s wait and see if he matures a bit or if he can learn some self-control. (Some parents actually wanted their kids on Ritalin - one wanted it for the Social Security bennies she thought she might get but the doctor called me about that little case - lol!)

Them: “But is Junior normal?”
Me: “Well, normal is a broad range.”
LOL!

I would have approved the use of Ritalin if the child’s behavior was truly interfering with his being able to learn or it was so disruptive the other kids couldn’t focus. (And doctor’s Rx, of course.)

Becky

On Jul 19, 2021, at 11:56 AM, Jeffrey Taylor via groups.io <jatta97=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

There is something to be said about treating adults like 5 year olds but I do understand the connection. Violence seems to be connected with uncontrolled, purely emotive behavior. It seems some people experience such an explosion of emotion that rational though is just overwhelmed. In those cases, where a person just seems to go mad, if you will, emotion just seems to be the only factor driving decision making. Something like this seems to take place with mob psychology were and individual's constraints are overwhelmed by the emotion of a group which. In children however, so often it seems those kids were just put on Ritalin or some newer equivalent.

On Monday, July 19, 2021, 08:16:23 AM EDT, David Markham <davidgmarkham@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Becky, Jeff, et al.

Becky wrote "There’s still racism and associated violence in South Africa. I don’t think it will go away. We’ll see less and less of it but as long as there is one tiny bit anywhere, against anyone, someone will take offense. That’s how humans are. At this point I think every race is complaining - (and we all lose). "

As an experienced kindergarten teacher you have spent years, I assume, teaching 5 year olds how to share. How can those skills we used with adults in our current world?

David Markham

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 11:31 PM Becky Lindroos <bekah0176@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
David Markham <davidgmarkham@gmail.com> wrote:
The question is what should be done?

Seidule writes that the first step is to dispel the myth of the lost cause and get real about our racist past by labeling things appropriately and stopping the so-called “dog whistles.”

• Is Seidule’s book a step in the right direction labeling historical events more accurately?
Yes - a step, certainly not a solution and it’s only a step if people read it and take note with a positive attitude.

• What do you think of his use of the terms “slave labor farms” and “racial police state” and southern soldiers especially officers as “traitors?”
What do I think of the terms? I think they can be highly inflammatory in some places (like Missouri or ND) and there could be some trouble. But the folks in East St Louis might appreciate the words and ideas. Use them carefully. Consider your audience - heh. I think Seidule knows who’s reading him.

• How can we help Southerners who deny reality with the lost cause myth to redeem their souls so that genuine healing can take place?
You mean some white Southerners? Maybe emphasize the antebellum days were more than 150 years ago and present company is excluded from the direct blame. (Many white people take offense you know - they think you are actively blaming their white skin for the horrific tragedies of the past.) Do you know that many Americans object to being called white? Why do you think that is?
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/26/17613844/racial-diversity-poll-twitter-white-people
(And scroll a wee bit to get rid of the ad)

• Would truth commissions and reparations help?
Maybe a wee bit, but the Civil War was 150 years ago, that’s about 8 generations. South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission was started in 1995 and that was very shortly after an election which changed the government.

We had to have a frightful war and then “reconstruction” and then Jim Crow laws (the apartheid part) and then ??? - Yes, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was successful (pretty much) but I don’t know how that kind of deal would work here.

The other problem we have here is that many whites in the same regional areas are also very poor and uneducated so if Blacks get something they don’t get, well … And then there are the Natives - (what do you think we owe them?) and the Mexicans (who also used to own California etc.) and then there are the Asians and Arabs and Jews (browner skins). Meanwhile, is this fair to the Blacks (etc.) who have “made it” to the law firms and doctor offices and suburbia and so on? - (Oh and btw, while we’re being capitalist about it all, women would like some backpay.)

What would the Supreme Court say re the "equal protection" clause if whites don’t get the goodies?

Biden tried to give women- and minority-owned businesses some extra Covid monies. That was shot down pretty quick and the guy who sued got his extra money, too.
“It is indeed a sordid business to divide us up by race.” - said the judge in the appeals court.

Let's not forget George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Michael Brown, Travon Martin, Daniel Prude, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, etc., etc., etc.
Of course not but how will more laws change attitudes and racism? Can we give all our obviously racist mf'ers a fair trial, take them behind the barn and hang them? Then burn a cross in … no - that’s old stuff. Show Youtube videos to set the example.