Watco Moving In

Chris VanderHeide

As of Saturday night, the first engine arrived in the Sault for Watco's pending takeover. WAMX/WSOR SD40-2 4182 arrived in Ontario Saturday evening, and two others were in Green Bay, WI.

Apparently the new railway will be operating as the "Agawa Canyon Railway" when it starts up.

joe joe

Anybody hear about the f40s for the tour train? Are they staying with the line ?
A friend of mine who is a conductor out of Sioux lookout for CN said he brought the 3 locomotives to Manitoba in February

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 05:13 PM, joe joe wrote:
Anybody hear about the f40s for the tour train? Are they staying with the line ?
That I don't know for sure, other than it's been publicly stated that Watco will assume operation of the tour train, and it wouldn't seem like CN has any other specific need for those engines, which were decorated specifically for the tour train...

I definitely assume that the passenger cars for the train would be acquired by Watco. The engines are less clear. CN doesn't "seem" to have a specific use for them, but they could always repaint them for their executive business train. I hope that they are sold with the tour train though.

By the way, for any numbers/records hounds, the locomotives delivered to the Sault last weekend are:

WAMX 4182 SD40-2 del. July 17
WAMX 4191 SD40M-2 del. July 18
WAMX 4192 SD40M-2 del. July 19

All three units are in full Wisconsin & Southern red and grey livery, with small WAMX (Watco) reporting marks in front of the cab numbers.

4191-4192 are identified as model SD40M-2 on the frame in front of the cab; they're both rebuilt SD40s.

David Stewart

SD40s were normally assigned to the Sault to Hawk section.  Are there plans for other engines north of Hawk?
Also, was the line all the way to Hearst sold to Watco, and do they plan to run the whole line?

--
Dave Stewart
Spark Contractors

Chris VanderHeide

Back in the ACR days it was typical to run light power like GP7s and GP38-2s north of Hawk.

The line may have been upgraded at some point since then, but it is typical for CN to use big SDs on the line. They usually have something like an SD70 or a Dash-9 sitting around there. SD40(-2s) are relatively "small" power these days, and GP38-2s are hot commodities for yard and local roadswitchers as the old GP9s slowly fade away.

Apparently Watco has obtained from Sault Ste. Marie to Oba, with CN retaining Oba to Hearst (I guess to hold on to Ontario Northland traffic?)

Kris Roenigk

No CN has retained ownership from Oba to Hearst.

https://www.northernontariobusiness.com/industry-news/transportation/cn-sells-algoma-central-railway-3589694

Kris Roenigk

Apsley, Ontario

[...]

gregory peet

 Has Watco taken control and started operations yet or is the AC still under CN control? The posting below was seven weeks ago. Just wondering what is the latest news if anything yet.

Greg Peet
Portage MI

On Monday, July 19, 2021, 11:23:20 AM EDT, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr@...> wrote:

As of Saturday night, the first engine arrived in the Sault for Watco's pending takeover. WAMX/WSOR SD40-2 4182 arrived in Ontario Saturday evening, and two others were in Green Bay, WI.

Apparently the new railway will be operating as the "Agawa Canyon Railway" when it starts up.

David Stewart

Their web page indicates trains scheduled Sept 25th through Oct 12.  I suppose there would be significant track maintenance going on....

On Monday, July 19, 2021, 11:23:20 AM EDT, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

As of Saturday night, the first engine arrived in the Sault for Watco's pending takeover. WAMX/WSOR SD40-2 4182 arrived in Ontario Saturday evening, and two others were in Green Bay, WI.

Apparently the new railway will be operating as the "Agawa Canyon Railway" when it starts up.

joe joe

The Wisconsin Southern engines in the years haven’t moved at all from the steelton yard. CN is still running everything and have said they will run the tour train. I assume the deal has not been finalized yet

On Sep 3, 2021, at 4:59 PM, David Stewart <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

Tyler Hoar

I was in the Sault, and Hawk Jct on Aug 30th and CN appeared still in control. Watco had 4 WSOR SD40-2 4181, 4182, 4191, and 4192 were present. CN had  5619 and 5675 and a GTW caboose 79047 present. Up at Hawk Jct. CN unit 8806  was sleeping away.

On Friday, September 3, 2021, 04:18:08 p.m. EDT, gregory peet via groups.io <gap49001@...> wrote:

 Has Watco taken control and started operations yet or is the AC still under CN control? The posting below was seven weeks ago. Just wondering what is the latest news if anything yet.

Greg Peet
Portage MI

On Monday, July 19, 2021, 11:23:20 AM EDT, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr@...> wrote:

As of Saturday night, the first engine arrived in the Sault for Watco's pending takeover. WAMX/WSOR SD40-2 4182 arrived in Ontario Saturday evening, and two others were in Green Bay, WI.

Apparently the new railway will be operating as the "Agawa Canyon Railway" when it starts up.

Chris VanderHeide

Anyone local see or hear any more about this?

CN still operating, or is Watco running yet? Any hints on the grapevine for dates?

Chris vanderHeide
Sarnia, ON

joe joe

CN is still running the show. All 4 watco engines are still parked beside dispatch as of this morning

On Sep 25, 2021, at 1:57 PM, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr@...> wrote:

Anyone local see or hear any more about this?

CN still operating, or is Watco running yet? Any hints on the grapevine for dates?

Chris vanderHeide
Sarnia, ON

Chris VanderHeide

Thanks Joe. Wonder when the transition is actually happening on the new Watco roads.

Chris

joe joe

Well after sitting  for months beside dispatch in the steelton yard, the 4 Watco engines have seemingly disappeared from steelton unless they got moved in the engine house . CN is still moving freight for us at Algoma.

On Sep 25, 2021, at 3:14 PM, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr@...> wrote:

Thanks Joe. Wonder when the transition is actually happening on the new Watco roads.

Chris

Chris VanderHeide

STB finally approved CN-Watco deal:

https://railfan.com/stb-approves-wisconsin-central-lines-sale-to-watco/

joe joe

It’s about time !

On Dec 21, 2021, at 8:26 PM, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr@...> wrote:

STB finally approved CN-Watco deal:

https://railfan.com/stb-approves-wisconsin-central-lines-sale-to-watco/

David Stewart

Just wondering, who crosses the International Bridge?
 Will CN (or WC?) drop and pick up in the AC Steelton Yard, then Watco shuffles to the old CP/AC Interchange tracks?
  Years ago, CP connected to the bridge, and SOO (CP subsidiary) crossed the bridge. AC/CP interchange tracks were at the south side of AC Steelton.
  But, as we know, WC bought out SOO, then AC, and retracked the bridge to AC Steelton yard, and CN bought it all. (Was it WC that changed the track, or was that after CN bought it?)
  Now, with three different entities, how to they plan to coordinate?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 9:45 PM joe joe via groups.io <Joeylethbridge12=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
It’s about time !

On Dec 21, 2021, at 8:26 PM, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dan Blink

I remember reading that CN planned to maintain control of the bridge.   Not sure if that means they will handle interchange or if Watco will.

Just wondering, who crosses the International Bridge?
 Will CN (or WC?) drop and pick up in the AC Steelton Yard, then Watco shuffles to the old CP/AC Interchange tracks?
  Years ago, CP connected to the bridge, and SOO (CP subsidiary) crossed the bridge. AC/CP interchange tracks were at the south side of AC Steelton.
  But, as we know, WC bought out SOO, then AC, and retracked the bridge to AC Steelton yard, and CN bought it all. (Was it WC that changed the track, or was that after CN bought it?)
  Now, with three different entities, how to they plan to coordinate?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 9:45 PM joe joe via groups.io <Joeylethbridge12=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
It’s about time !

On Dec 21, 2021, at 8:26 PM, Chris VanderHeide via groups.io <cv_acr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dale Wilson

Agreed things seem very much “up in the air” about what happens regarding [at least] the south end of the former ACR. The supposed ‘big news’ items about the Ring of Fire mining and a specialized smelter in the Sault must wait until such time as investors (from any number of directions) and the provincial government  decide it’s time to build roads, rail lines and actual mines. No one should be holding their breath!

There are rumours — and that’s all they are at this point — about the upgrading of the Ontario Northland line between Hearst and Cochrane being part of plans for CN to divert freight traffic to/from the west and channel it to/from Montreal and Quebec City, thus dealing with routing NOT involving the CN Toronto-Montreal main line. Should this be realistic, the Oba-Hearst portion of the former ACR becomes vital. Whether the operator of all, or only some, of the former ACR becomes factual with firm traffic promises, one can only dream.

As to the international rail bridge at the Sault, it has bee part of the package since WC came into the picture with no split of ownership. Has this changed?

Believe it was in the 1970s-80s that CP spent a lot of money rebuilding portions of that bridge structure, supposedly aiming at the movement of [single level] container trains from Montreal to Minneapolis and Chicago through the Sault. That worked seemingly well with Trains 911-12 on CP and thence to the SOO Line, but was dropped later. Obvious reason was double stack rail transport becoming usual and the 1880s bridge clearances at the Sault not allowing it, but there were rumours about more. Are there any facts?

There have been multiple attempts to short-circuit the ACR’CPR connection at the Sault by building trackage directly connecting the CP, DSS&A & SOO Line to Algoma Steel, including a failed attempt by Sir James Dunn, the [then] owner of Algoma Steel, through the charter of the Algoma Southern Railway, an Algoma Steel subsidiary. If traffic was to move directly to/from the US to/from the AC main line north obvious changes were needed — thus more recent track layouts.

Dale Wilson

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 09:58 AM, Dale Wilson wrote:
As to the international rail bridge at the Sault, it has bee part of the package since WC came into the picture with no split of ownership. Has this changed?
Except CN didn't sell the entire WC "package", just bits and pieces of it. I mean, they didn't even sell the entire ACR, keeping the Oba-Hearst bit.

Since they're keeping the entire line on the US side up from Green Bay, I'm not sure that they would have sold off control of the bridge to the shortline.

Chris vanderHeide
Sarnia, ON