Topics

Name change? #poll

Geoff Dunn

Should we change our name?
This is my first try at a poll. You only get one choice and you can't see the answers until then poll closes. I don't know how to do that yet... Maybe we'll run the poll until Monday at noon.
Geoff

Thank you for voting. Results will be available when the poll is closed.

Doug Dederick

I vote #2

On Apr 11, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Should we change our name?
This is my first try at a poll. You only get one choice and you can't see the answers until then poll closes. I don't know how to do that yet... Maybe we'll run the poll until Monday at noon.
Geoff

1. Albany Ngineers
2. Albany N-Scale
3. Albany T-Trak
4. no change
5. something else

Vote Now: https://groups.io/g/AlbanyNTrak/vote?pollid=12746

Geoff Dunn

Doug, please respond to the poll, not via messaging.

To others, the poll is aimed at club members, although technically anyone on the list can vote. But I can see who votes... I'll keep voting fraud in check!

Vote early,,,,and often! Lol

On Apr 11, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Doug, please respond to the poll, not via messaging.

To others, the poll is aimed at club members, although technically anyone on the list can vote. But I can see who votes... I'll keep voting fraud in check!

Geoff

I do not remember my name or password.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

This is my first try at a poll. You only get one choice and you can't see the answers until then poll closes. I don't know how to do that yet... Maybe we'll run the poll until Monday at noon.
Geoff

1. Albany Ngineers
2. Albany N-Scale
3. Albany T-Trak
4. no change
5. something else

Vote Now: https://groups.io/g/AlbanyNTrak/vote?pollid=12746

Doug Dederick

Sorry Geoff I am not sure if I ever loved into the site. I will try tomorrow

Thanks

On Apr 11, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Doug, please respond to the poll, not via messaging.

To others, the poll is aimed at club members, although technically anyone on the list can vote. But I can see who votes... I'll keep voting fraud in check!

Geoff

Doug Dederick

Logged ! sorry

On Apr 11, 2020, at 7:49 PM, Doug Dederick <ddederic@...> wrote:

Sorry Geoff I am not sure if I ever loved into the site. I will try tomorrow

Thanks

On Apr 11, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Doug, please respond to the poll, not via messaging.

To others, the poll is aimed at club members, although technically anyone on the list can vote. But I can see who votes... I'll keep voting fraud in check!

So when you click on the link at the bottom of the poll, it asks for your userid and password? Your userid is FSteitz@.... I can't help with your password.

Geoff

On Saturday, April 11, 2020, 07:31:08 PM EDT, Frederick Steitz <fsteitz@...> wrote:

I do not remember my name or password.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

This is my first try at a poll.  You only get one choice and you can't see the answers until then poll closes.  I don't know how to do that yet...  Maybe we'll run the poll until Monday at noon.
Geoff

1. Albany Ngineers
2. Albany N-Scale
3. Albany T-Trak
4. no change
5. something else

Vote Now: https://groups.io/g/AlbanyNTrak/vote?pollid=12746

Geoff Dunn

When you click on the link at the bottom of the original invitation, does it ask you to log in? Your userid is dderic@...; I can't tell what your password is.

Geoff

On Saturday, April 11, 2020, 09:45:27 PM EDT, Doug Dederick <ddederic@...> wrote:

Logged !  sorry

On Apr 11, 2020, at 7:49 PM, Doug Dederick <ddederic@...> wrote:

Sorry Geoff  I am not sure if I ever loved into the site. I will try tomorrow

Thanks

On Apr 11, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Doug, please respond to the poll, not via messaging.

To others, the poll is aimed at club members, although technically anyone on the list can vote.  But I can see who votes... I'll keep voting fraud in check!

Geoff

Doug Dederick

Thanks Geoff I need to write this down I have way to many passwords !!

On Apr 11, 2020, at 9:51 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

When you click on the link at the bottom of the original invitation, does it ask you to log in? Your userid is dderic@...; I can't tell what your password is.

Geoff

On Saturday, April 11, 2020, 09:45:27 PM EDT, Doug Dederick <ddederic@...> wrote:

Logged ! sorry

On Apr 11, 2020, at 7:49 PM, Doug Dederick <ddederic@...> wrote:

Sorry Geoff I am not sure if I ever loved into the site. I will try tomorrow

Thanks

On Apr 11, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Doug, please respond to the poll, not via messaging.

To others, the poll is aimed at club members, although technically anyone on the list can vote. But I can see who votes... I'll keep voting fraud in check!

Geoff

nycrr8

Happy Easter.
May I suggest that when we consider a name change, please bear in mind that a change in name is not "free," but there will be a cost involved.  We all have maroon shirts with our current club name and logo, and some of us have operations aprons and baseball caps, or maybe even totes, and the club has a very nice display banner, all with the Albany N-Trak name and logo.  While the cost of changing our digital presence (web site) only costs the time of the volunteers that do that work (think of Geoff's and John's time as NOT free, at least to them), the other physical items that have our name and logo will have a cash cost.  Oh, I think there is a cost to a new website address, as well.

So the "value" of a new name should outweigh the costs of abandoning the old one.  I am slow and probably missed a thread here or someone's discussion about it, but I don't remember what that value was.  Can anyone please tell me?

Just my 2 cents,
"John Henry"

Doug Dederick

John Henry brings up a very good point ! Now that I think about it I agree with him that we really need to think about this. Maybe changing the name is the right move. After all there is nothing wrong with the old one OTHER THEN we do more than Ntrak. WE have been ALBANY Ntrak since the beginning of time and we are know locally by many. I am not sure that we what to replace that. I am glad I did not vote yet because I am reconsidering my way of thinking about this. Maybe we ALL need to talk more about it ? My 2.5 cents ( inflation )

Thanks Doug

On Apr 12, 2020, at 8:35 PM, nycrr8 via groups.io <nycrr8=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

lacasse

I do not feel as though this is a major issue. Making a change to our name to better reflect what we do, which is to display operating N scale layouts at public shows, simply reflects that we embrace N scale, not just N-Trak. Yes we have been Albany, NY N-Trak since the beginning, and that has not changed, I do not feel we are abandoning our identity. If we do an N-Trak layout we can continue to display the club banner, wear the shirts, hats, etc. Affecting a change as we display T-Trak layouts is an organic change. It is not some legal change that is necessary. We are looking at getting an engraved bridge module made for display in T-Trak layouts. If someone notices the change and askes us about it, we just explain the broadening of our name, not correct them to address us properly. The bank account and club correspondence doesn’t need to change and as we move forward we can make any changes to our logo and club wear as decided as a group. I do not see us charging club members demerits for showing up at a function with the old logo. Mike L.

[...]

Everything you said is true Mike but we have done T-Trak for years under our current name and if you what to have a T-Trak bridge with a name to reflect that, that’s great but why do we really need to change the name of our club ? I say just call the T-Trak bridge anything you want and leave it at that. Again if we “ officially “ change our name then as we sign up for shows we are signing up under the new name OR when we are asked what is the name of our club we are saying the new name, by someone wearing an old shirt or having the banner displayed it adds confusion does it not ? Personally I just don’t see the need to change the name but everyone has a voice and a vote

Doug

[...]

Doug, what you express is exactly what I am trying to say. We are not changing our club name. The T-Trak bridge module would only be a more generic name for us involving display of that type of module. How many module standards have been presented over the years? N-Trak, N-Trak with optional tracks, Bend-Trak, One-Trak, an attempt by the NMRA to write new N scale modular standards, and T-Trak, also there are standards for N scale FREMO. Geoff and I started this group many years ago following the one thing that matters and it remains; To promote N scale through the presentation of operating layouts for the general public. We are Albany ,NY N-Trak and will no doubt remain that for the future, Mike L.

[...]

Hey Mike Maybe I am confused but all these email have been about changing the club name NOT naming a bridge and Geoff has put up a “ VOTE “ to change the name

On Apr 13, 2020, at 9:43 AM, lacasse <lacasse@...> wrote:

[...]

I understood what Doug understood.

Also, Mike, a thousand years ago, when I had time to bring a module to shows, I built and brought a Bend Track module (at your suggestion, even, when you were Club President) instead of an N-Trak module. Our Club name "Albany N-Trak" was in no way exclusionary to other formats and as President then you encouraged inclusion of all N Scale modular formats that could be fitted, which I think the club still does.

We are such a small club and I think it would just start to become confusing if some people wear "Albany N-Trak" shirts, others wear T-Trak" shirts and others "Albany NGineers" shirts.

The "N-Trak" "BRAND" is a really big tent that lets lots of others under it. It gives instant recognition of "N Scale Modular Railroading," which is what we are in, a really short concise name that is widely recognized. A one word name instead of a 4 word name that is descriptive. Like Kleenex instead of "soft facial tissues." Most people don't worry about which "sub format" (N-Trak, T-Trak, Twin-Track, Bend Track, One Track, etc.) gets used. By all means run as many T-Trak layouts as people want, but just stay inclusionary.

Now if only someone would build one of those T-Trak to N-Trak helix adapters that I saw in the Newsletter.... Just sayin'

Be well,

"John Henry"

Geoff Dunn

Results of the name change poll were:
Albany Ngineers - 2
Albany N-Scale -3
no change - 7
The other categories got no votes.

I can't seem to paste a screenshot of the results here. Can you guys see the results?

Geoff

Alan Kardon

Albany N and T Track RR

--