Topics

Checking in - how is everyone?

Geoff Dunn

Hello everybody. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I trust people are healthy, safe, and now some of you are getting the vaccine.

I've had one shot, have been working on three TTrak corners for most of the last year, and doing a little on my HO layout. Lots of other stuff is keeping me busy.

Let us know how things are going.

For those who belong to the NTrak national group, this is also a reminder about "ZoomTrak" this afternoon at 4:00.

Geoff

Michael Romanowski

Thank you for checking on us. I appreciate it. My wife and I have had both our doses. We are free to move about the country. LOL. I have not done too much on the TTrak large corners. The rest of the Upstate Model Railroaders TTrak modules are safe in a snowbound trailer on my property.
The Upstate Model Railroaders club has survived but with very reduced membership. We are down to 18 members. We will continue with some generous grants from two club members. The HO layout is now a reality, the N scale layout is working well. The fourth room, which was previously used for storage, has been cleared and will become a giant G scale layout. We will be open to the public starting in April with whatever protocols will be in place by then. Most of the members have been vaccinated.

Michael Romanowski
Vice President
Upstate Model Railroaders
518 423 7519

On Mar 13, 2021, at 7:50 AM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello everybody. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I trust people are healthy, safe, and now some of you are getting the vaccine.

I've had one shot, have been working on three TTrak corners for most of the last year, and doing a little on my HO layout. Lots of other stuff is keeping me busy.

For those who belong to the NTrak national group, this is also a reminder about "ZoomTrak" this afternoon at 4:00.

Geoff

john valachovic

All good out here on the Albany County Frontier.   I have been steadily plugging along on the Raquette Lake Railway.   Work has been insane the past year and a half.  Work progresses at the sawmill.   This is the hardwood mill, it is a Basher and Sons laser cut mill from Ebay with modified HO sawmill details. Moving towards the scratchbuilding of the softwood mill too.  Walls are cut out and most of the openings on the gable end.  Stay safe everyone. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "Geoff Dunn via groups.io" <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> Date: 3/13/21 7:50 AM (GMT-05:00) To: AlbanyNTrak@groups.io Subject: [AlbanyNTrak] Checking in - how is everyone? Hello everybody.  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  I trust people are healthy, safe, and now some of you are getting the vaccine.I've had one shot, have been working on three TTrak corners for most of the last year, and doing a little on my HO  layout.  Lots of other stuff is keeping me busy.Let us know how things are going.For those who belong to the NTrak national group, this is also a reminder about "ZoomTrak" this afternoon at 4:00.Geoff

Stephen

Hi Geoff. Doing well now, but the last couple of months have been rough. Got the virus in mid December. Mild symptoms for a couple of days, no Meds prescribed by Dr. Two weeks out of quarantine I had a mild stroke and heart attack when the virus messed with my blood chemistries. BP, Glucose, Colesterol, White cell and Platelet counts all went haywire. had to go on blood thinners. Had to have stents inserted in my heart arteries. No residuals from the stroke. Have antibodies now but have to wait at least 90 days from original diagnosis to get the shots after next week. Tell your guys to watch out for after effects of the virus should they be unfortunate enough to get it.

Stephen Walsh
retsignalmtr@verizon.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: AlbanyNTrak@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Mar 13, 2021 7:50 am
Subject: [AlbanyNTrak] Checking in - how is everyone?

Hello everybody.  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  I trust people are healthy, safe, and now some of you are getting the vaccine.

I've had one shot, have been working on three TTrak corners for most of the last year, and doing a little on my HO  layout.  Lots of other stuff is keeping me busy.

Geoff

Matthew

I’ve been doing well way down here in Westchester. Schools have been open since September so our entire family has been in classrooms 5 days a week (my wife and I teach and my kids are in first grade). It’s been ridiculously stressful dodging COVID outbreaks at our schools, especially after seeing so many long term after-effects, but my wife and I are both vaccinated now so that’s been a tremendous relief. I even got to hug my vaccinated dad yesterday after keeping distant from him for a year.

As for model train time, I bought an Ender 3 pro and have been printing structures for Ttrak modules. It hasn’t been going as quickly as I’d like because I’ve been also printing things to play boardgames over zoom (AKA. My Saturday nights)

I also bought 6 low ikea shelving units and have my TTrak midules along it. Kind of like a movable shelf layout. I should photograph it because it’s a really useful way to keep TTrak set up.

I’m hopeful that so many folks are becoming eligible to be vaccinated. I hope to see you guys soon.

Thanks for asking!
Matthew Morgano

On Mar 13, 2021, at 9:12 AM, Stephen via groups.io <retsignalmtr=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Geoff. Doing well now, but the last couple of months have been rough. Got the virus in mid December. Mild symptoms for a couple of days, no Meds prescribed by Dr. Two weeks out of quarantine I had a mild stroke and heart attack when the virus messed with my blood chemistries. BP, Glucose, Colesterol, White cell and Platelet counts all went haywire. had to go on blood thinners. Had to have stents inserted in my heart arteries. No residuals from the stroke. Have antibodies now but have to wait at least 90 days from original diagnosis to get the shots after next week. Tell your guys to watch out for after effects of the virus should they be unfortunate enough to get it.

Stephen Walsh
retsignalmtr@verizon.net

Geoff

Brian Hilgenberg

Hi all,
  I got my first shot last week in Binghamton, and go for #2 on the 24th.  I took my wife to Syracuse yesterday for her first shot.  I visited my mom on the way back as she's now fully vaccinated.  My father-in-law has been vaccinated, and my son is going to Plattsburgh for his first shot tomorrow, so by the end of April, I'll at least be able to visit those closest to me.
So things are finally looking up; though I'm still leery of large crowd events, I do plan to start day tripping with the bicycle.  I'm thinking of attending N-scale weekend in Altoona in late August, and the Syracuse show,for now, is a go.
  Though I've been fiddling with my modules and models, I've been spending most of my free time working on my website.  I finished posting my "Tales" and am now working on the "N-scale Freight Cars" page.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

https://www.talesfromtheriver.net/n-scalefreightcars

Brian Hilgenberg

nycrr8

Geoff, Thank you so much for asking and checking in with us. Still working hard. Not retired like most of you. While our office has been attached to the home forever and we are used to WFH (Work From Home), we are finding that many of our vendors / work partners have different levels of quality and often low efficiency with WFH (Work From Home), and in general most work tasks take much longer than pre-plague. Long hours. But we are very grateful to have the work and are not complaining. Just making an observation. And we feel for the millions who have lost their jobs and livelihood. (or died or have to deal with long Covid.)

So we are not yet vaccinated and being very careful about isolation, etc. Will not travel (fly, train, uber, etc.), stay in a hotel or dine indoors, etc. We also have fortunately not caught Covid either, but have several friends who have with long term effects, like Steven mentioned. Steven, we are so sorry to hear about your Covid experience and wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Other than studying railroad history and a little armchair modeling, no progress to speak of with the railroad. Did start a project of the DC to DCC conversion with Digitrax, but not far into it. And DCC is not yet running at all.

My other hobby ice sailing had a great year with two weeks on the Hudson River ice at Athens NY and four days at Bantam Lake in Litchfield CT.

I just want to caution you all on your vaccines, since we have some close friends who are high up in the medical and health care world and give us "an insider's view." When you are vaccinated, you can still carry Covid-19 and transmit the disease you others, including your loved ones. You can still get the disease yourself. But the vaccines should keep you off the ventilator and out of the ICU.

Be well, all,

John Henry

Geoff Dunn

Good to hear from those who responded. Stephen, I'm sorry to hear you got the bug, and are still dealing with after-effects, but glad you're on the mend. Best of luck with your recovery, and I hope it's quick.

I'm glad to hear people are staying active, not just binge-watching stuff. Rod's lighting and Matthew's 3-D printer are especially cool. I ordered some of the cars.

Unfortunately, even though many "pods" may be vaccinated soon, it will be months before the vaccine is available to everyone, including a mainstay of our train show audiences - children. The vaccine isn't even approved for anyone under 18 (16 for Pfizer?). And, as John Henry said, even vaccinated people can catch and pass on the virus, so masks will be necessary for six months or more. The vaccine does seem to provide 100% protection against death, so get it if you can. Sorry to sound like your mother!

Stay safe. Geoff

Geoff Dunn

Doug asked me to post this for him...

Hi Everyone
It has been nice to read all of your comments and what you all have been doing. From what I can tell most of you and your wife’s have received at least one dose of the vaccine which I am so happy to hear. My Mom who is 95 has had both of her’s as well as my mother in-law who is 92. Nadine my wife received her first shot yesterday and I have an appointment for April 17th. What is clear to me in reading your emails is how important family is to ALL of us. This has been a hard year for each and everyone of us but just maybe we have all been reminded of what really matters , or what is most important to all of us, family !
On a personal note I have been continuing working on my home layout and have made some progress. I still have a long ways to go but I have been enjoying the hobby as much as possibly. I do however miss all my friends and fellowing train enthusiast. I hope to see all of you in the near further, for now stay safe and remember we are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel but, we are still in the tunnel ( but getting close to the end I hope ! )

Doug

Mark Fleischhauer

Hi Geoff and everyone,
I've been reading everyone's e-mails and I'm glad everyone is doing well,
We are very fortunate in my household with vaccines.  I work in a nursing home, my wife is a teacher, my daughter is an RN and my son is a grocery worker.  My son is the only one who has not yet had a second shot, but he will get it next week.
Luckily we have all been healthy throughout.
I have not had a heck of a lot of time to work on trains, as I've been way too busy at work through the pandemic.  I purchased the Kato 20th Century Limited set with DCC locomotives.  I've been a little frustrated because the locos arrived DOA (or so it appears).  I sent them back to Kato, and they said they tested OK (see my post from a week or two ago).  When they came back, I still couldn't get them to work.  I've reached back out to Kato to see if they have any suggestions.
I hope we'll be able to have train shows again in a few months.
Mark

Hello everybody.  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  I trust people are healthy, safe, and now some of you are getting the vaccine.

I've had one shot, have been working on three TTrak corners for most of the last year, and doing a little on my HO  layout.  Lots of other stuff is keeping me busy.

Geoff

Forest Bevins

Hi Everyone, Not much going on with me. Haven't done much in N scale over the past year other that a joint project with Mike R. We did a Fire breathing dragon burning down a castle on one of our wide corners and the other wide corner we started Disney's Galaxy Edge which is a Star Wars themed Module, with the Millennium Falcon. Most of my time has been working on the UMRR new G Scale layout. The final design is done and will feature 3 main lines which one is a point to point with a double switch back climbing up the side of a mountain to an upper level. along with running water and lots of automation. We hope to start construction by the end of the month and hope to have trains running by summer.
Forest

Brian Emerson

Thanks Geoff for reaching out to everyone. It’s good to hear how things are going. We are doing well in sunny Florida in historic Venice with its beautiful railroad station but with a bike trail instead of a rail line. We both have all our shots so are venturing out to outdoor restaurants etc.

As for model railroading I am building a around the room shelf style n scale railroad (see photos) after searching in vane
for a basement in my house. Still working as a lone wolf as no clubs are nearby. Take care everyone.

Brian Emerson

On Mar 13, 2021, at 7:50 AM, Geoff Dunn via groups.io <geoffdunnsoccer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Geoff

Matt Rossman

Hi all,

Glad to see that most are getting their vaccinations now and hopefully the rest of us can soon too. We are doing well here. Changing jobs during a time like this has definitely made things interesting.

My modular model train layout is still up and running and probably better than it was before. I try to get down there 1-2 times a week for a short period. I’ve converted half of my lines to DCC and have been converting my locos over. It has given me a great opportunity to maintain all of them as well.

Matt

On Mar 16, 2021, at 7:35 PM, Brian Emerson via groups.io <bemerson8=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Geoff for reaching out to everyone. It’s good to hear how things are going. We are doing well in sunny Florida in historic Venice with its beautiful railroad station but with a bike trail instead of a rail line. We both have all our shots so are venturing out to outdoor restaurants etc.

As for model railroading I am building a around the room shelf style n scale railroad (see photos) after searching in vane
for a basement in my house. Still working as a lone wolf as no clubs are nearby. Take care everyone.

Brian Emerson

Geoff

<image1.jpeg>
<image0.jpeg>