Backup DCC system

Geoff Dunn

We have talked in the past about purchasing a backup DCC system.  One of our former members, Carl Graves, has some lightly used equipment he'd like to sell.  This includes two DB-150 units, a throttle, and a radio transmitter.  The transmitter may be a UR-91.  I didn't ask what the throttle was but Carl says it came with one of the DB-150s, so it's probably one of the DT-400? models.

The asking price is around $400.  I'm no Digitrax expert.  What do members think about a purchase like this?

You could get a brand new Digitrax system for 527.00

Digitrax EVOD Evolution Advanced 5/8 Amp Duplex Starter Set

Michael Romanowski
Vice President
Upstate Model Railroaders
528 423 7519

On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:38 PM, geoffdunnsoccer@... [AlbanyNTRAK] <AlbanyNTRAK@...> wrote:

We have talked in the past about purchasing a backup DCC system.  One of our former members, Carl Graves, has some lightly used equipment he'd like to sell.  This includes two DB-150 units, a throttle, and a radio transmitter.  The transmitter may be a UR-91.  I didn't ask what the throttle was but Carl says it came with one of the DB-150s, so it's probably one of the DT-400? models.

The asking price is around $400.  I'm no Digitrax expert.  What do members think about a purchase like this?

And speaking of DCC, I need to add the connections to a couple of my T-trak modules.  After studying the setup at the GTE, I purchased some Unitrak terminals and extension cords.  Before I start, I need to know which color wire to connect to each rail.  I also heard references to "red" and "yellow" lines, so I need to know which is which.

Thanks,

Brian the outside line is the red line. The inside line is the yellow line.
Kato has blue and white wires. The TTrak standard for wiring is from the front of the module. Red line first rail = blue wire.
Red line inside rail= white wire.
Yellow line outside rail= white wire
Yellow line inside rail = blue wire.
Two leads come out the back of the module. We tape some red tape for the red line and yellow tape for the inside yellow line.
Now I’m assuming you want to run DC on the inside line. So I would not touch that wiring.
I would attach the blue and white wires to the outside red line for connection to DCC.
Hope that helps.

Michael Romanowski
Vice President
Upstate Model Railroaders
528 423 7519

On Jan 29, 2019, at 8:04 AM, Brian Hilgenberg ontario_and_erie@... [AlbanyNTRAK] <AlbanyNTRAK@...> wrote:

And speaking of DCC, I need to add the connections to a couple of my T-trak modules.  After studying the setup at the GTE, I purchased some Unitrak terminals and extension cords.  Before I start, I need to know which color wire to connect to each rail.  I also heard references to "red" and "yellow" lines, so I need to know which is which.

Thanks,

The DB150 is the Empire Builder system. That is now two generations from the newest system. Digitrax has labeled both that system and the super chief as “retired products “

Michael Romanowski
Vice President
Upstate Model Railroaders
528 423 7519

On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:49 PM, Michael Romanowski mmroman@... [AlbanyNTRAK] <AlbanyNTRAK@...> wrote:

You could get a brand new Digitrax system for 527.00

Digitrax EVOD Evolution Advanced 5/8 Amp Duplex Starter Set

Michael Romanowski
Vice President
Upstate Model Railroaders
528 423 7519

On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:38 PM, geoffdunnsoccer@... [AlbanyNTRAK] <AlbanyNTRAK@...> wrote:

We have talked in the past about purchasing a backup DCC system.  One of our former members, Carl Graves, has some lightly used equipment he'd like to sell.  This includes two DB-150 units, a throttle, and a radio transmitter.  The transmitter may be a UR-91.  I didn't ask what the throttle was but Carl says it came with one of the DB-150s, so it's probably one of the DT-400? models.

The asking price is around $400.  I'm no Digitrax expert.  What do members think about a purchase like this?

Only Mike has commented so far.  Does anyone else have a thought on the DCC setup being offered?

Geoff

---In AlbanyNTRAK@..., <mmroman@...> wrote :

[...]

john valachovic

I am ambivalent, it is a decent price for something that has been gently used but as Mike said it is an older system.  I'm sure there are still plenty of these systems up and running layouts currently and it is for back up....

---In AlbanyNTRAK@..., wrote :

[...]

Mark Fleischhauer

Geoff,

Unfortunately I don’t know enough about Digitrax to feel comfortable expressing an opinion.

Mark

---In AlbanyNTRAK@..., wrote :

[...]

Rod Mason

Like John, I’m ambivalent about the offer.  As Mike has pointed out, we could get a brand new system for only $127 more.  As much as I’d like to help out a former member, I vote for spending the extra money for a new system.

Rod

---In AlbanyNTRAK@..., wrote :

[...]

I talked to Carl Graves last night and let him know that the club is not interested in the equipment.  He is still trying to sell it so if anyone is interested, contact him directly.  His information is in the message trail on the Yahoo Groups site.

Carl was somewhat active with us a few years ago and some of you probably remember him.  He has had some health issues lately, but he is still working on a layout and may see us at future shows.

Geoff