Re: Syracuse Show recap

Geoff Dunn

John Henry, the pictures of the modules are pretty useless without explanation, so I'm not going to put them on the Yahoo group.  We can go over them at some meeting, perhaps in January or February.

Geoff

---In AlbanyNTRAK@..., <albanyntrak@...> wrote:

Geoff,

Thank you very much for that report.  Sounds like you had a great time.  That has to be a new "coup" for one's wife to want the "see the sights of Syracuse!"  (Grin)  I have never made it out to that show.

When you get a chance I would love to see photos of those light weight modules with the aluminum sides & cross bracing.  And any additional comments on their construction would be great.

Hopefully see you in Poughkeepsie on Sunday.

Many thanks,

"John Henry"

"

---In albanyntrak@..., <geoffdunnsoccer@...> wrote:

I attended the Syracuse train show yesterday, November 2nd.  I was on a mission to steal a design for lightweight corners.  Unfortunately, the guy who designed and built the aluminum frame corners moved to Arizona, or New Mexico, or somewhere else hot and dry.  Fortunately, a couple of guys from the Philadelphia club had brought one of the aluminum 3' corners to the show, and I was able to speak with them and take some pictures.  The corner seemed to have a plywood base, with aluminum fascia sides and aluminum cross braces.  This one had two sets of DC throttles built in, one set of three for tracks to the left, and a set of three for the tracks to the right.  (The Philadelphia club, and the Syracuse layout, uses only DC for layout control).  Another corner had a foam base, with Masonite fascia and wood cross braces.  At some future meeting, we can look at the pictures and discuss whatever design we may want to follow for new corners.

There were other interesting things at the show.  Brian Hilgenberg was there with the European modelers.  Rich Smith, who assigns space at the GTE, was there and we talked.  See below.  Numerous vendors from the Albany area were at Syracuse - I was surprised at that.  Some national vendors were there as well.  Prices from some vendors were good, some were list.  I picked up a few things.  Towards the end of the show, I walked out the the CSX mainline and saw four trains in twenty minutes.

My wife went with me.  We had a great time, but Syracuse University had a home football game and it was also parents' weekend.  The downtown restaurants and bars were pretty crowded.  This morning, I got to take pictures at Dewitt yard, in southeast Syracuse.  This is a great place to see trains on CSX.

Regarding the GTE, there will be no Lionel layout at the GTE this year, but Clark Dunham will have a smaller display in the space they filled.  This means our layout will be a little wider.  More on this later when I have more details.

I think I'm forgetting some things.  But that's it for now.