Sikorsky S43 at Smithsonian

GreyOldDave

My brother in law recently visited the Smithsonian Air Space Museum and returned with a photo of what looks like a Sikorsky S43 baby clipper being restored at the Dulles location. I had been under the impression that the only Sikorsky flying boat left was the VS44 at the New England Air Museum near Hartford.
I am aware of at least one Short Sunderland at the museum near London and at least one of the Japanese planes at a museum in Japan, and one Consolidated Coronado at the Pensacola air force museum.  The Catalina seems to be much more common out there at museums but I'm not aware of any that are in operating condition.
Does anyone have a better inventory of what still exists out there of these planes? They actually built quite a few of the various Sikorsky models.
Cheers.

David Crotty

Ken

There are still a few around.  This website describes some of them: http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-latest-news/world-catalina-news-july-2011-a40.html

Ken Sanford

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM, GreyOldDave decrotty@... [aerophilately] <aerophilately@...> wrote:

My brother in law recently visited the Smithsonian Air Space Museum and returned with a photo of what looks like a Sikorsky S43 baby clipper being restored at the Dulles location. I had been under the impression that the only Sikorsky flying boat left was the VS44 at the New England Air Museum near Hartford.
I am aware of at least one Short Sunderland at the museum near London and at least one of the Japanese planes at a museum in Japan, and one Consolidated Coronado at the Pensacola air force museum.  The Catalina seems to be much more common out there at museums but I'm not aware of any that are in operating condition.
Does anyone have a better inventory of what still exists out there of these planes? They actually built quite a few of the various Sikorsky models.
Cheers.

After looking at the Catalina I had some doubts about this being a Sikorsky. However I think the attached photo will assure us that it really is a Sikorsky. Any suggestions otherwise?

David Crotty

[...]

Gentlemen - The aircraft in question is a JRS-1, the military version of the Sikorsky S43A. The Smithsonian believes that it was assigned to VJ-1 (Navy Reconnaissance  Squadron 1) and was at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. If true it would be the only such airplane still in existence. The Navy bought 15 JRS-1’s; the Marine Corps bought 2, and the Army Air Corps also bought several (number unknown). So, yes it is a Sikorsky.
Cheers,
Bob

On Jul 12, 2014, at 11:26 AM, Robert Mattingly rmattingly3544@... [aerophilately] <aerophilately@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert,
Thanks much. This is the kind of thing this group is good for. Thanks.

David Crotty

[...]

Dave,

There was no photo. Can you try to post it again?

Thanks,

Ken