PAA Timetables 1939-1946

GreyOldDave

I am in the process of building some files to put the Pan American Airways timetables on the Aerophilatelic site to go along with the trip summary collection. I have obtained permission from the source, U. Miami, to put these here for our research purposes.  Right now they are just a little too big to be stored there. I'll have to work on reducing the size without hopefully reducing the readability.
Ok Ok, I reallize that the official Airpost Journal stand is that timetables are worthless and should be burned. We have seen at least four major articles in the last year to this effect and I gather there will be more. They do provide a good deal of information that are not in the trip summaries, and we only have these summaries for a very few years. We don't have anything else for many airline routes as a matter of fact.

I hope that we can make this site a storage spot for a wide range of information about many airline operations.

David Crotty

Gary Loew

David - how big? I've got a DropBox acct  with maybe 40Gb that will be available for a year or more.  Would that help in some way?

Gary

On Feb 18, 2014 5:02 PM, "DEC" <decrotty@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually every Yahoo member has Dropbox these days. I do have to get the file down to 10mb to actually store it on the site.
In the next few hours I will figure out how to handle this. Cheers.

David Crotty

[...]

I have the PAA Atlantic timetables on our Aerophilately site now. This covers 1939 through 1946 (somehow I do not seem to have a folder for 1940 but I will look again). I included the first few issues for 1946 because these show the beginning of the land plane era for transatlantic travel.
The 1945 issues show that some of the routes that are well documented by the 1944 trip summaries are continued in 1945 up until the DC-4 and Constellation land aircraft start up on similar routes.
Note that the really good data for the Atlantic ends in December 1944. The Navy had supervised the PAA Atlantic operations from December 1941 through December 1944. At that point the Navy abruptly cancelled its contract with PAA and that may be why the trip summary preparation ended. . After that the PAA publications announce that PAA was now an independent company again, no longer tied to the war effort and the company had to look carefully at being a for-profit company again. That being said, the Army still had some control over priorities as to who could travel to Europe on the clippers. That control was pulled back as the year progressed and PAA began to advertise that almost anyone could travel now.

The yahoo group allows us to store 2 gigabytes of file data and we are using about 100 mb (0.1 gb) right now. Lots of space for information for other information.

David Crotty