Topics

PAA Atlantic operations 1939-1944

GreyOldDave

All,
The Aerophilately group has places for files and photo albums. We have lots of space to share information and I invite any of you to build a folder with info of your interest. The photo albums will only take photos but are very useful for perhaps a group of interesting CAM covers. Keep in mind that as the AAMS publishes the next catalogs it want to do the covers in color so someone has to find those covers, scan them and store them. This would be a good place to store them.
I have just mounted some but not all of the "trip summaries" that I found at the University of Miami Richter Library in their Pan Am special collection. We found these last summer about this time and spent a good deal of time digging up much more info than this about PAA's operations during the war. PAA continued its commercial operations through that time (and these are only from the commercial side) but operated a wide range of missions for the Army and Navy. The library has given me permission to mount these here for research use. We cannot publish them in any other way but you can print them out for your own use.
I am about 99% finished with a 400 page book that will include all this data plus a good deal of auxiliary information about this interesting period. I'm in the middle of proofing the book with the able assistance of Vickie Canfield Peters. The hardest part is checking the numbers that I transcribed from these and other types of sheets.

David Crotty

GreyOldDave

BTW, forgot to mention that the first file is an appendix from the book in which I try to list all 14 of the Atlantic routes that PAA developed as it tried to serve the Atlantic while up against not only the war but the weather and the needs of the military.

David Crotty

To: "aerophilately@..."
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:20 PM
Subject: PAA Atlantic operations 1939-1944

All,
The Aerophilately group has places for files and photo albums. We have lots of space to share information and I invite any of you to build a folder with info of your interest. The photo albums will only take photos but are very useful for perhaps a group of interesting CAM covers. Keep in mind that as the AAMS publishes the next catalogs it want to do the covers in color so someone has to find those covers, scan them and store them. This would be a good place to store them.
I have just mounted some but not all of the "trip summaries" that I found at the University of Miami Richter Library in their Pan Am special collection. We found these last summer about this time and spent a good deal of time digging up much more info than this about PAA's operations during the war. PAA continued its commercial operations through that time (and these are only from the commercial side) but operated a wide range of missions for the Army and Navy. The library has given me permission to mount these here for research use. We cannot publish them in any other way but you can print them out for your own use.
I am about 99% finished with a 400 page book that will include all this data plus a good deal of auxiliary information about this interesting period. I'm in the middle of proofing the book with the able assistance of Vickie Canfield Peters. The hardest part is checking the numbers that I transcribed from these and other types of sheets.

David Crotty

Curt Heckert

Thanks David,

Interestingly, I had just begun scanning my covers including CAM, Pioneer flights, FDC, and just about anything related to air mail I can afford. Am I correct in assuming that any cover might be useful?

Curt

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@...> wrote:

BTW, forgot to mention that the first file is an appendix from the book in which I try to list all 14 of the Atlantic routes that PAA developed as it tried to serve the Atlantic while up against not only the war but the weather and the needs of the military.

David Crotty

All,

David Crotty

GreyOldDave

Curt
There are many CAM, AM, First flights and FDC and etc. that are very common and not very expensive. Many of the first flights had so many covers that they were enough to give the pilot a problem flying the plane. That is not always the case. The catalog can give you a hint because for many of these the catalog can show the numbers of covers known and some of the low numbered ones can be hard to find.
We had a discussion at APS last week during the airmail postal history session (we had five teachers and three students) that there may be many thousands of "Airmail Week" covers from many airports, so it would be hard to make a complete collection, but on the other hand there are many of them to collect and easy to find.
The 6 to 10 AAMS auctions each year have many of these kinds of covers and they are on ebay too. AAMS sale 277 just closed and sale 278 opens today. See the AAMS website for the auction list.
You have to decide what you want to collect. They are all good stuff really.
The purpose of showing the PAA flight summaries is that they can help collectors determine how some of the covers traveled. I am almost finished with a book that collects the pertinent numbers from these sheets in hopes that collectors find the numbers useful in a more organized form.

David Crotty

To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013 9:54 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] Re: PAA Atlantic operations 1939-1944

Thanks David,

Interestingly, I had just begun scanning my covers including CAM, Pioneer flights, FDC, and just about anything related to air mail I can afford. Am I correct in assuming that any cover might be useful?

Curt

--- In aerophilately@..., DEC wrote:
>
> BTW, forgot to mention that the first file is an appendix from the book in which I try to list all 14 of the Atlantic routes that PAA developed as it tried to serve the Atlantic while up against not only the war but the weather and the needs of the military.
>
>
>  
> David Crotty
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: DEC
> To: "aerophilately@..." <aerophilately@...>
> Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:20 PM
> Subject: PAA Atlantic operations 1939-1944
>
>
>
> All,
> The Aerophilately group has places for files and photo albums. We have lots of space to share information and I invite any of you to build a folder with info of your interest. The photo albums will only take photos but are very useful for perhaps a group of interesting CAM covers. Keep in mind that as the AAMS publishes the next catalogs it want to do the covers in color so someone has to find those covers, scan them and store them. This would be a good place to store them.
>
> I have just mounted some but not all of the "trip summaries" that I found at the University of Miami Richter Library in their Pan Am special collection. We found these last summer about this time and spent a good deal of time digging up much more info than this about PAA's operations during the war. PAA continued its commercial operations through that time (and these are only from the commercial side) but operated a wide range of missions for the Army and Navy. The library has given me permission to mount these here for research use. We cannot publish them in any other way but you can print them out for your own use.
> I am about 99% finished with a 400 page book that will include all this data plus a good deal of auxiliary information about this interesting period. I'm in the middle of proofing the book with the able assistance of Vickie Canfield Peters. The hardest part is checking the numbers that I transcribed from these and other types of sheets.
>
>  
> David Crotty
>

Curt Heckert

Great reply.

Thanks David

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@...> wrote:

Curt
There are many CAM, AM, First flights and FDC and etc. that are very common and not very expensive. Many of the first flights had so many covers that they were enough to give the pilot a problem flying the plane. That is not always the case. The catalog can give you a hint because for many of these the catalog can show the numbers of covers known and some of the low numbered ones can be hard to find.
We had a discussion at APS last week during the airmail postal history session (we had five teachers and three students) that there may be many thousands of "Airmail Week" covers from many airports, so it would be hard to make a complete collection, but on the other hand there are many of them to collect and easy to find.
The 6 to 10 AAMS auctions each year have many of these kinds of covers and they are on ebay too. AAMS sale 277 just closed and sale 278 opens today. See the AAMS website for the auction list.
You have to decide what you want to collect. They are all good stuff really.
The purpose of showing the PAA flight summaries is that they can help collectors determine how some of the covers traveled. I am almost finished with a book that collects the pertinent numbers from these sheets in hopes that collectors find the numbers useful in a more organized form.

David Crotty

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013 9:54 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] Re: PAA Atlantic operations 1939-1944

Thanks David,

Curt

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@> wrote:

David Crotty

All,

David Crotty