New Chinese Amphibian aircraft

GreyOldDave

Folks
We discussed early reports about this Chinese item. Here is a new report of this new aircraft just off the assembly line. Not a lot of info seems to be available about it other than "almost as big as a 737.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/china-rolls-worlds-largest-amphibious-aircraft-40830840

David Crotty

Susan

DAVE:  Chinese amphibious aircraft very interesting.  Did you find the cost of it?  I like how they compare it to what Howard Hughes had built.  So his dream has come true in this.  I do not understand the usage though - could you explain: AVIC states that the aircraft will be suitable for aerial firefighting dropping 12 tonnes of water.?

Susan

GreyOldDave

During large forest fires you may notice in the news they sometimes show the firefighters using a wide range of aircraft to drop water mixed with some other materials to kill the fire. They use a wide range of helicopters and land planes, There are two very old Martin flying boats based in Canada that get used once in awhile too.
The flying boats, like this new aircraft, can land in a lake, full the internal tanks with water and be in the air in a few minutes
Hope that helps.

David Crotty

DAVE:  Chinese amphibious aircraft very interesting.  Did you find the cost of it?  I like how they compare it to what Howard Hughes had built.  So his dream has come true in this.  I do not understand the usage though - could you explain: AVIC states that the aircraft will be suitable for aerial firefighting dropping 12 tonnes of water.?

Susan

Susan

Yes that makes sense thank you.  I know you were at the World Stamp Show.  I found a CAM 6 1926 Michigan First Flight that I added to my collection.  What did you glean  from the WSS 2016?  I learned so much and networked.  Sorry I missed your presentation as I was volunteering at the AMS Booth for Ken Sanford.  How did your talk go?

Susan