From: Mike Street <mikestreet1@...>
To: David Crotty <decrotty@...>; Gray Scrimgeour <gray@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:27 AM
Subject: Post WWII trans-Pacific mail flights query

Hi Gray and David:

During a presentation on my Peace Issue rates in Toronto last night two covers brought essentially the same suggestion from the group. As trans-Pacific mail people I'm hoping that you may be able to help.

a) After the end of WWII on VJ Day, surface mail to Japan was allowed fairly quickly, but it was a couple of years before air mail was allowed. Was this a restriction placed by the American Occupying Power, and if yes, why for so long?

b) I have a cover to Shanghai, China mailed from Montreal on 22 October 1951, that never got past Montreal AMF. It was returned marked "Service Suspended". The revolution in China was long over, but the Korean war was on. Did someone put an embargo on mail to China, or at least air mail to China, because of their involvement in Korea? If yes, are start and stop dates available?

Any help appreciated. No rush.

Thanks.

Mike

--