Topics

FAM-5

Curt Heckert

Hi,

It's great to see some activity here.

I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.

There are no markings on the back, and no date or city on the front.

Does anyone have any more info they can share with me?

Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?

Thanks,

Curt

FAM-5

GreyOldDave

I'm not an expert on this but it does seem the 15 cent rate is correct based on Tony W's book. Every FAM FFC that I have seen seems to be dated.
The AAMS catalog vol 3 does suggest the first day for that to be Miami to Tela as May 21 1929.
I certainly do not have an explanation for the mute cancel
However John Johnson is the FAM chairman. I will ask him and report back what he says.

David Crotty

I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.
There are no markings on the back, and no date or city on the front.
Does anyone have any more info they can share with me?
Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?
Thanks,
Curt

Robert Mattingly

Curt - Believe this is F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May 21-22, 1929.  According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were flown from Miami to  Managua, Belize, and Tela.
Bob

I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.

There are no markings on the back, and no date or city on the front.

Does anyone have any more info they can share with me?

Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?

Thanks,

Curt

FAM-5

GreyOldDave

John Johnson responded by pointing me to the Postal Bulletin of May 10 1929. It happens that as editor of the Philatelic Communicator I have a bit of early info that Tony W and a friend have just finished putting some 100,000 pages of the US Postal Bulletin online at www.uspostalbulletins.com. Attached is the reference that John provided. However, that does not really answer the question as to why this particular item has a mute cancel when most seem to be dated correctly.

David Crotty