Topics

FAM-5

Curt Heckert

Hi,

It's great to see some activity here.

I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.

There are no markings on the back, and no date or city on the front.

Does anyone have any more info they can share with me?

Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?

Thanks,

Curt

FAM-5 

GreyOldDave

I'm not an expert on this but it does seem the 15 cent rate is correct based on Tony W's book. Every FAM FFC that I have seen seems to be dated.
The AAMS catalog vol 3 does suggest the first day for that to be Miami to Tela as May 21 1929.
I certainly do not have an explanation for the mute cancel
However John Johnson is the FAM chairman. I will ask him and report back what he says.

David Crotty

To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:32 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] FAM-5

Hi,
I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.
Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?
Thanks,
Curt

Robert Mattingly

Curt - Believe this is F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May 21-22, 1929.  According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were flown from Miami to  Managua, Belize, and Tela.
Bob

----- Original Message -----

Hi,

Thanks,

Curt

FAM-5 

GreyOldDave

John Johnson responded by pointing me to the Postal Bulletin of May 10 1929. It happens that as editor of the Philatelic Communicator I have a bit of early info that Tony W and a friend have just finished putting some 100,000 pages of the US Postal Bulletin online at www.uspostalbulletins.com. Attached is the reference that John provided. However, that does not really answer the question as to why this particular item has a mute cancel when most seem to be dated correctly.

David Crotty

Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [aerophilately] FAM-5

Curt - Believe this is F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May 21-22, 1929.  According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were flown from Miami to  Managua, Belize, and Tela.
Bob

Hi,
Thanks,
Curt

Curt Heckert

Thanks for the replies everyone. As usual, asking one question leads to hours of research and reading. I suppose that is what makes stamp collecting so much fun.

David, not meaning to insult anyone, but who is Tony W and what book has he written? Currently I rely on the fifth edition of the American Air Mail Catalogue (AAMC). What other books should I be using? Also, thanks for this url which I am sure I'll be using often from now on: www.uspostalbulletins.com. I wonder if we should create a list of the reference books, websites, etc that we use in researching our stamps.

Bob, as stated above, I use the Fifth edition of the AAMC which I know is getting pretty old. Is it worthwhile purchasing the Sixth edition, which is newer but still getting pretty old? Is there a Seventh edition in the works?

Also to Bob, you say that your books shows F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May 21-22, 1929. However, my book lists a purple cachet type F5c to be used on F5-4a, and F5-9b. I think F5-3b lists a cachet as purple/black. Does that mean that there were two colors used for the cachet (a mix of black/purple), or two different sets of cachets, one purple, one black, or maybe it means something entirely else.

Finally, I learned a new term "muted." I assume that means a stamp that has been cancelled without a location, date, or time?

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I have just recently decided to focus on U.S. Airmail stamps, plate blocks, FDC, sheets (when I can afford them) and First Flight covers. My collection was started by two sets of great grandparents, continued by my grandparents, passed along to my parents and aunt and uncle, and was finally given to me. I am now introducing my 6 year old grandson to the wonderful world of stamps and hoping he will grow to love the collection as I do so I can pass it on to him.

At any rate, I know I'll have lots of questions and am thankful for this forum.

Curt

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@...> wrote:

John Johnson responded by pointing me to the Postal Bulletin of May 10 1929. It happens that as editor of the Philatelic Communicator I have a bit of early info that Tony W and a friend have just finished putting some 100,000 pages of the US Postal Bulletin online at www.uspostalbulletins.com. Attached is the reference that John provided. However, that does not really answer the question as to why this particular item has a mute cancel when most seem to be dated correctly.

David Crotty

Curt - Believe this is F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May
21-22, 1929.  According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were
flown from Miami to  Managua, Belize, and Tela.
Bob
To: aerophilately@yahoogroups.com

Hi,
Thanks,
Curt
FAM-5 

GreyOldDave

Curt
First I'd like to say this is exactly the type of discussion I hope we have on this group.
Next, I think we would do well to assemble a bibliography of good sources of information. The Tony W. I mentioned is Tony Wawrukiewicz who has written "US International Postal Rates 1872-1996" as well as the companion "US Domestic Postal Rates 1872-1999" both with co-author Henry W. Beecher. Books I could not do without.
Next, the AAMS Sixth Edition is now at three volumes (four if you count Air Mails of Canada and Newfoundland). Number four is being edited. Volume four has been stalled for about 9 years. Part of it had to do with CAM maps which we got finished about two years ago. As for the future we are trying to do the next volumes in color which means finding all those covers and scanning them in color. I'll bet finding them with be the big issue. As a member of the AAMS you get these at a nice discount and often at shows attended by AAMS we have a very nice show discount as well.
At the same time the Canadian group (of which I am a member) want to re-issue their volume because there are mistakes and they have a lot more information but there are still some 500 copies of the old book in stock. I have suggested that the changed and improved chapters be done as an update volume rather than doing the entire book over.
The volume three collection of FAM routes is somewhat similar to the fifth edition volume three. The cachets you see in the older book are present in the newer one but numbered differently. I gather that some errors are corrected.
Hope that helps, Curt.

David Crotty

Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 11:04 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] Re: FAM-5

Thanks for the replies everyone. As usual, asking one question leads to hours of research and reading. I suppose that is what makes stamp collecting so much fun.

David, not meaning to insult anyone, but who is Tony W and what book has he written? Currently I rely on the fifth edition of the American Air Mail Catalogue (AAMC). What other books should I be using? Also, thanks for this url which I am sure I'll be using often from now on: www.uspostalbulletins.com. I wonder if we should create a list of the reference books, websites, etc that we use in researching our stamps.

Bob, as stated above, I use the Fifth edition of the AAMC which I know is getting pretty old. Is it worthwhile purchasing the Sixth edition, which is newer but still getting pretty old? Is there a Seventh edition in the works?

Also to Bob, you say that your books shows F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May 21-22, 1929. However, my book lists a purple cachet type F5c to be used on F5-4a, and F5-9b. I think F5-3b lists a cachet as purple/black. Does that mean that there were two colors used for the cachet (a mix of black/purple), or two different sets of cachets, one purple, one black, or maybe it means something entirely else.

Finally, I learned a new term "muted." I assume that means a stamp that has been cancelled without a location, date, or time?

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I have just recently decided to focus on U.S. Airmail stamps, plate blocks, FDC, sheets (when I can afford them) and First Flight covers. My collection was started by two sets of great grandparents, continued by my grandparents, passed along to my parents and aunt and uncle, and was finally given to me. I am now introducing my 6 year old grandson to the wonderful world of stamps and hoping he will grow to love the collection as I do so I can pass it on to him.

Curt

--- In aerophilately@..., DEC wrote:
>
> John Johnson responded by pointing me to the Postal Bulletin of May 10 1929. It happens that as editor of the Philatelic Communicator I have a bit of early info that Tony W and a friend have just finished putting some 100,000 pages of the US Postal Bulletin online at www.uspostalbulletins.com. Attached is the reference that John provided. However, that does not really answer the question as to why this particular item has a mute cancel when most seem to be dated correctly.
>
>
>  
> David Crotty
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: "rmattingly3544@..."
> To: aerophilately@...
> Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:07 PM
> Subject: Re: [aerophilately] FAM-5
>
>
>
>  
> Curt - Believe this is F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May
> 21-22, 1929.  According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were
> flown from Miami to  Managua, Belize, and Tela.
> Bob
> ----- Original Message -----
> >From: realkoach
> >To: aerophilately@...
> >Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:32 AM
> >Subject: [aerophilately] FAM-5
> >
> > 
> >Hi,
> >It's great to see some activity here.
> >I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.
> >There are no markings on the back, and no date or city on the front.
> >Does anyone have any more info they can share with me?
> >Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?
> >Thanks,
> >Curt
> >FAM-5 
>

Robert Mattingly

Hi Curt:

I have both the 4th and 6th edition of the AAMC for FAMs. The 6th is MUCH superior and well worth the investment. The writing is some of the best you will find in philately and there are some useful updates and factual corrections. The downside is that NYRBA and WIAE listings were omitted.
As for the cachet colors, purple/black means purple or black ink (not a combination of the two). My guess on the lack of a cancellation date stamp on your cover may lie in the sender. Nickles was an avid (and well known) collector. He may have sent his covers well in advance and they could have been processed before the actual flight date was known.

Cheers,
Bob

Curt

>
> John Johnson responded by pointing me to the Postal Bulletin of May 10 1929. It happens that as editor of the Philatelic Communicator I have a bit of early info that Tony W and a friend have just finished putting some 100,000 pages of the US Postal Bulletin online at www.uspostalbulletins.com. Attached is the reference that John provided. However, that does not really answer the question as to why this particular item has a mute cancel when most seem to be dated correctly.
>
>
>  
> David Crotty
>
>
>
>
>
>  
> Bob
> >
> > 
> >Hi,
> >I have attached a scan of a cover and I am hoping someone can help me identify it.
> >Is it unusual to postmark a cover on the early FAM-5 flights and not include a location and/or date?
> >Thanks,
> >Curt
> >FAM-5 
>

Curt Heckert

Thanks for the info, all. It sounds like updating my fifth editions to sixth would be worth doing, However, looking at my welcoming letter from the AAMS, I'll have to wait until July 1st before my membership become active. I'll try again then.

Bob, that's very interesting about Nickles. I guess we'll never really know why this cover was undated unless we find another like it and more is known about that cover.

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, <rmattingly3544@...> wrote:

Hi Curt:

I have both the 4th and 6th edition of the AAMC for FAMs. The 6th is MUCH superior and well worth the investment. The writing is some of the best you will find in philately and there are some useful updates and factual corrections. The downside is that NYRBA and WIAE listings were omitted.
As for the cachet colors, purple/black means purple or black ink (not a combination of the two). My guess on the lack of a cancellation date stamp on your cover may lie in the sender. Nickles was an avid (and well known) collector. He may have sent his covers well in advance and they could have been processed before the actual flight date was known.

Cheers,
Bob

Curt

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@> wrote:
>
>
>
> Â
> David Crotty
>
>
> From: "rmattingly3544@" <rmattingly3544@>
> To: aerophilately@yahoogroups.com
>
>
>
> Â
> 21-22, 1929. According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were
> flown from Miami to Managua, Belize, and Tela.
> Bob
> >To: aerophilately@yahoogroups.com
> >
> >Â
> >Hi,
> >Thanks,
> >Curt
> >FAM-5Â
>

GreyOldDave

Curt,
John Johnson of the AAMS sent this set of three covers that all have mute cancels very much like the one you showed us. He also showed the backs of these and they all have received and/or destination cancels on the back. If I recall you mentioned that the back is blank on yours.
It appears that the PO may have cancelled all the extra stamps on the FAM covers before the event to save time on the event day.. Since it has always been improper to cancel a cover with anything but today's date they used mute cancels. Then on the day of the event (here the first flight day) they could run the entire batch (usually thousands of covers) through cancelling machines that needed only to hit someplace on the front of the cover.
After seeing John's covers and thinking about it for a few days, it seems that two things could have happened. Somehow this cover failed to get cancelled on the event day (perhaps the machine canceller fed two covers through at the same time).
The second possible reason is that, since there is no backcancel at the destination, this cover fell out of the entire operation and was found later on the floor. It never got put on the plane and never got flown. The clerks, late at nite finding this one on the floor threw it into the next day's mail  where it went through the mails directly to the addressee.
Of course we will never know what actually happened but we can guess.
David Crotty

Curt

>
>
>
>  
> David Crotty
>
>
>
>
>
>  
> Bob
> >
> > 
> >Hi,
> >Thanks,
> >Curt
> >FAM-5 
>

Curt Heckert

David,

Thank you very much for doing this research. I guess you're right, we'll never know for sure what happened to the cover. It's sure an interesting bit of history though. I think I'll print out this message thread and keep it with the cover for anyone looking at it in the future.

Thanks again,
Curt

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@...> wrote:

Curt,
John Johnson of the AAMS sent this set of three covers that all have mute cancels very much like the one you showed us. He also showed the backs of these and they all have received and/or destination cancels on the back. If I recall you mentioned that the back is blank on yours.
It appears that the PO may have cancelled all the extra stamps on the FAM covers before the event to save time on the event day.. Since it has always been improper to cancel a cover with anything but today's date they used mute cancels. Then on the day of the event (here the first flight day) they could run the entire batch (usually thousands of covers) through cancelling machines that needed only to hit someplace on the front of the cover.
After seeing John's covers and thinking about it for a few days, it seems that two things could have happened. Somehow this cover failed to get cancelled on the event day (perhaps the machine canceller fed two covers through at the same time).
The second possible reason is that, since there is no backcancel at the destination, this cover fell out of the entire operation and was found later on the floor. It never got put on the plane and never got flown. The clerks, late at nite finding this one on the floor threw it into the next day's mail  where it went through the mails directly to the addressee.
Of course we will never know what actually happened but we can guess.

David Crotty

Curt

--- In aerophilately@yahoogroups.com, DEC <decrotty@> wrote:

David Crotty

Curt - Believe this is F5-3b, Miami to Tela, Honduras, May
21-22, 1929.  According to the AAMC, slightly fewer than 4,000 pieces were
flown from Miami to  Managua, Belize, and Tela.
Bob

Hi,
Thanks,
Curt
FAM-5