From: "lee.downer204@..."
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:38 PM
Subject: [aerophilately] Army Emergency Flights in 1934

Hi to everyone.  I'm new to the group and looking forward to participating.  Maybe I can add something as well.

Anyone know dealers who might have Army related covers?   I know Doug Weiss, but that's about it.  THX, Lee

Lee Downer

I keep a close watch on Ebay, but am trying to find dealers that are too busy to list them.  Lee

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 25, 2013, at 3:40 PM, DEC <decrotty@...> wrote:

There appear to be three Army Emergency 1934 covers on eBay just now if you have not been looking there.

David Crotty

Hi to everyone.  I'm new to the group and looking forward to participating.  Maybe I can add something as well.

Anyone know dealers who might have Army related covers?   I know Doug Weiss, but that's about it.  THX, Lee

Ken

Dear Lee,

I have a couple of Army Emergency crash covers. See my website at: http://www.aerophilately.net/crshlst2.html

Regards,

Ken Sanford

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM, <lee.downer204@...> wrote:

Hi to everyone.  I'm new to the group and looking forward to participating.  Maybe I can add something as well.

Anyone know dealers who might have Army related covers?   I know Doug Weiss, but that's about it.  THX, Lee

jim72051

I don't have emergency flights but I do stash away on cover examples of just about everything worldwide including US regular use military covers. A quick look in my unorganized boxes resulted in the four airmail examples I just posted in my album.

Jim

Lee Downer

Thanks Jim and Ken.

My interest is primarily in the Army pilots that flew those air mail flights in 1934.  Many of them went on to become the wartime leaders of the Army Air Corps in WWII.  One of Ken's crash covers is signed, but I managed to find another copy some time back, also signed.

The usual group of aerophilatelists that created the first flight covers we collect today were all over these Army flights, using the same process, to get mail on the inaugural flights.  Few of these covers have cachets which would help identify a collectible item, helping to explain the relative scarcity.

APO/FPO mail is huge area of collecting.  I have seen some dealers at shows that specialize, but they usually don't have first flight material.

Thanks, Lee

Sent from my iPad