From: "smpostmus@... [aerophilately]"
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2016 6:07 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] AAMS at NY2016

Dave

Thank you for all your input and information!
Ken sent me a copy of the schedule:
The schedule shows an AAMS membership meeting Sat. May 28 from 12 pm to 1 pm.  I also see that you will be discussing the ATC carried the mail in African during WWII - what exactly is the ATC:?

Susan

GreyOldDave

Sorry. I didn't end that message. By the end of the war the ATC was flying more aircraft that any organization since then. Unfortunately the generals who ran that thought they should become the world's cargo carrier. That didn't go so well in Washington nor from the commercial carriers. They seemed to forget that this was a government subsidized operation. However the ATC did a great job getting the world armies supplied through the war. Mail was one of those jobs.

David Crotty

In 1941 as the US prepared for war the Army was given the job of preparing to transport large amounts of cargo and aircraft. They built what became known as the Air Transport Command. This command ended up in charge of transport of aircraft to the allies as well as cargo and personnel. Some the work was done by contractors and Pan American was one of the largest. This command worked in the Atlantic and the Pacific throughout the war. By the end of the war the ATC
Hope that helps.

David Crotty