Date   

test

GreyOldDave
 

 
David Crotty


AEROPHIL - AEROPHILATELIC LITERATURE, AIRMAIL COVERS & AIR CRASH COVERS

Ken
 

This is the first message posted in this new Aerophilately Yahoo Group.

I am Ken Sanford, and I sell commercial aviation & aerophilatelic books, airmail covers, air crash covers, train wreck & ship wreck covers. I have a number of good helicopter first flight covers for sale. See my website at http://aerophilately.net

I have been an aerophilatelist since about 1962. I am a former President and Director of the American Air Mail Society (AAMS) and am currently the AAMS Convention Coordinator.

The next AAMS convention will be held as part of the ARIPEX philatelic exhibition in Mesa, Arizona on 19-21 April 2013. We need aerophilatelic exhibits and aerophilatelic speaks for ARIPEX. See the ARIPEX website for details and an entry form: http://www.aripex.org/

If you would like to give an aerophilatelic talk or display at ARIPEX, please contact me at: kaerophil@...


Grip?

david steidley
 

As your new Vice-President, I will try to help you with any AAMS issue.
Just send a private email to me at Steidley@....

How can we all improve our society or get new members would be great Topics if you want to start one.

Good luck and Regards to all.

K. David Steidley


A very hardy welcome to me....

barhata
 

I am unable to edit my profile at the moment (Yahoo bugs!). So, I'll just give you all the short version. I've been collecting stamps since I was about 10 years old. I've gone through quite a few different collecting interests; Scandinavia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Indochina, British Omnibus, UPU, ITU, Red Cross, Switzerland, Europa/NATO, Greece, Japan, et al....

For the past several years, my passion has been collecting pre-1950 Worldwide Airmail issues, primarily mint. I also have interest in much of the Scott unlisted material as well (Sanabria has become my bible). To make it enven more interesting, I design and print all of my own album pages. I did some work for Bill Steiner several years ago, designing some of the Stamp Albums web pages. And, that got me interested in ablum design.

I have tons of reference material, and quite a horde of duplicates to trade or sell. So, I look forward to sharing with everyone. I am really excited to get in on the ground floor here, and I hope you attract a big flock of fellow collectors of flying stamps.

Cheers,
Terry

PS. Let me know what your thoughts are on the sorts of things that should be placed in the Files section for the group here. Photos, Links and what would we use the Database for?


Hi, Everbody

happyycatty
 

Hi,

I want to know, am'I the only AAMS member in Hongkong? thank you!


Re: Hi, Everbody

GreyOldDave
 

Hello.
First there are only about seven of us here right now. It will take awhile for this membership to grow. The first announcement was in the November APJ.
Second, you pretty much have to tell us your name but I'm there are more than one AAMS member in Hong Kong. I do not, however, have access to the member list.
David Crotty
 

From: happyycatty
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:44 PM
Subject: [aerophilately] Hi, Everbody

 
Hi,

I want to know, am'I the only AAMS member in Hongkong? thank you!




Re: Hi, Everbody

Ken
 

I show the following AAMS member in Hong Kong. Is that you?

Peter Tsang Kwong-Chi ares.tsang@...

Regards,

Ken Sanford

--- In aerophilately@..., "happyycatty" <ares.tsang@...> wrote:

Hi,

I want to know, am'I the only AAMS member in Hongkong? thank you!


Welcome and lets get started

GreyOldDave
 

Welcome to the Aerophilately discussion group.
At this point there are only 9 of us. It is my experience that it takes about 2 years to get a good group going. We can start now however.
As some of you may know I found about 450 "trip summaries" at the University of Miami that describe in great detail the operations of Pan American Airways in the Atlantic during World War II.These are trips that are missing from all compilations of PAA operations from this period. I have three articles submitted to APJ, one of which came out in December. I don't know when the other two will be used.
One thing that Jim Graue suggested at Sacramento was to build a catalog of information in tables very much like he did with the DLH data.
So far I have 1939 through 1943 done. I have 1943 yet to go. Unfortunately I have nothing for 1945.
I have the data for the NY to Foynes flights but I will leave them until later since these are not the great mystery that 1942 through 1944 are in the south Atlantic.
I do need some help proofreading all my data keywork. I'm sure there are many typos and there is the occasional spot where it is not clear if this number is a 5 or a 6 or an 8.  If anyone wants to help the advantage would be that I have to give you a copy of the collection.
Keep in mind the collection of trip summaries cannot be published due to copyright restrictions from the U. Miami, and my work will be copyrighted as well. Eventually Jim G suggested this might become part of the AAMS catalog or we may publish in some other way.
And happy holidays!

David Crotty


Intro to group

Bob Watson
 

Hi all,
I'm Bob Watson. I live in New Zealand, but I'm originally from the US (Wilmington, Delaware). I collect all aspects of mail to/from USA & New Zealand, including air mail of course. My main concern is routes and rates, but I'm not strictly limited to that. (I have to try not to fly off on various tangents as they present themselves, but I'm only moderately successful a that.) Thee's other collections/accumulations, but I won't bother you with those.
Cheers (as they say here),
Bob


V-Mails from New Zealand

Bob Watson
 

I have a couple of V-mails from senders with New Zealand return addresses (yes, from the US system, not the British airgraph system).

One is from a Marine at APO 715 on 4 December 1943 which was the 39th General Hospital at Auckland, NZ. Two others are from senders at Fleet PO 133 which was at Wellington, NZ Oct 3, 1942 - Dec 1, 1945. all 3 had been microfilmed and reprinted Stateside for sending to addressees. To my knowledge there were no actual V-mail facilities here in NZ, the closest being in Australia. Also, I believe the V-mail and British Airgraph setups were separate without any intercommunication, at least in NZ.

Can anyone provide an explanation as to where these were microfilmed?


Re: Intro to group

Ken
 

Dear Bob,

Are you a member of the Air Mail Society of New Zealand. If not, you might like to join.  You can contact Alan Tunnicliffe at alant@....

Happy New Year,

Ken Sanford


On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM, neopanax <bob.watson@...> wrote:
 

Hi all,
I'm Bob Watson. I live in New Zealand, but I'm originally from the US (Wilmington, Delaware). I collect all aspects of mail to/from USA & New Zealand, including air mail of course. My main concern is routes and rates, but I'm not strictly limited to that. (I have to try not to fly off on various tangents as they present themselves, but I'm only moderately successful a that.) Thee's other collections/accumulations, but I won't bother you with those.
Cheers (as they say here),
Bob



Re: Intro to group

Bob Watson
 

Ken

Yes, I am. (But I must join the AAMS.)

 

By the way, the AMSNZ in conjunction with Mowbray Collectables just published “New Zealand Overseas Airmail Postage Rates, 1930-2011” by Robin Startup. If you are a member of the AMSNZ there’s a discounted price. Contact Alan for further details. Otherwise, Mowbray Collectables (houseofstmps@...) has a good stock.

Bob

 

 

 

From: aerophilately@... [mailto:aerophilately@...] On Behalf Of Ken Sanford
Sent: Friday, 28 December 2012 2:25 a.m.
To: aerophilately@...
Subject: Re: [aerophilately] Intro to group

 

 

Dear Bob,

Are you a member of the Air Mail Society of New Zealand. If not, you might like to join.  You can contact Alan Tunnicliffe at alant@....

Happy New Year,

Ken Sanford

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM, neopanax <bob.watson@...> wrote:

 

Hi all,
I'm Bob Watson. I live in New Zealand, but I'm originally from the US (Wilmington, Delaware). I collect all aspects of mail to/from USA & New Zealand, including air mail of course. My main concern is routes and rates, but I'm not strictly limited to that. (I have to try not to fly off on various tangents as they present themselves, but I'm only moderately successful a that.) Thee's other collections/accumulations, but I won't bother you with those.
Cheers (as they say here),
Bob

 


Re: Intro to group

Ken
 

Dear Bob,

You can join the American Air Mail Society by going to www.americanairmailsociety.org, and click on "Application".

The dues are US$58.00.  The Society doesn't accept PayPal, so if you want to pay by PayPal, you can pay to my email address and add $2.35 to cover the PayPal fee.

Send the completed application to me as an email attachment.

Happy New Year,

Ken Sanford

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 27, 2012, at 6:36 PM, "Bob Watson" <bob.watson@...> wrote:

 

Ken

Yes, I am. (But I must join the AAMS.)

 

By the way, the AMSNZ in conjunction with Mowbray Collectables just published “New Zealand Overseas Airmail Postage Rates, 1930-2011” by Robin Startup. If you are a member of the AMSNZ there’s a discounted price. Contact Alan for further details. Otherwise, Mowbray Collectables (houseofstmps@...) has a good stock.

Bob

 

 

 

From: aerophilately@... [mailto:aerophilately@...] On Behalf Of Ken Sanford
Sent: Friday, 28 December 2012 2:25 a.m.
To: aerophilately@...
Subject: Re: [aerophilately] Intro to group

 

 

Dear Bob,

Are you a member of the Air Mail Society of New Zealand. If not, you might like to join.  You can contact Alan Tunnicliffe at alant@....

Happy New Year,

Ken Sanford

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM, neopanax <bob.watson@...> wrote:

 

Hi all,
I'm Bob Watson. I live in New Zealand, but I'm originally from the US (Wilmington, Delaware). I collect all aspects of mail to/from USA & New Zealand, including air mail of course. My main concern is routes and rates, but I'm not strictly limited to that. (I have to try not to fly off on various tangents as they present themselves, but I'm only moderately successful a that.) Thee's other collections/accumulations, but I won't bother you with those.
Cheers (as they say here),
Bob

 


Norway to Hong Kong via Germany ARENDAL airmail 1933

happyycatty
 

Hi, please help to provide possible route for cover mentioned as below & tell me if U want to have cover image both face & front, thank you.

1) From: Arendal, Norway dated Dec 11, 1933 with Rate: 1Kr45
2) Transit: Sassnitz (Berlin-Sassnitz (Hafen) Bahnpost Zug18*- 13.12.33)
3) Transit: Berlin, Germany dated Dec 13, 1933
4) Arrive: Hong Kong Dec 29, 1933


Re: Norway to Hong Kong via Germany ARENDAL airmail 1933

GreyOldDave
 

You might try to find a copy of Eduard Proud's book Intercontinental Airmails Volume Two Asia and Australasia. THis book lists the British, Dutch and French schedules.
I'm not an expert at this and I have not taken the time as yet to look at all the possibilities. The rate is about right and I assume it has an airmail sticker. If Imperial Airways took it
1. Norway to Berlin by train. (the train station postmark)
2. Berlin to Paris by train or DLH (or one of the other IA/DLH connector stops)
3. IA to Rangoon.
4. sea to Hong Kong.

A cover image would help. There should be cachet calling for IA, KLM or Air France.

 
David Crotty

From: happyycatty
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:34 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] Norway to Hong Kong via Germany ARENDAL airmail 1933

 
Hi, please help to provide possible route for cover mentioned as below & tell me if U want to have cover image both face & front, thank you.

1) From: Arendal, Norway dated Dec 11, 1933 with Rate: 1Kr45
2) Transit: Sassnitz (Berlin-Sassnitz (Hafen) Bahnpost Zug18*- 13.12.33)
3) Transit: Berlin, Germany dated Dec 13, 1933
4) Arrive: Hong Kong Dec 29, 1933




Re: Norway to Hong Kong via Germany ARENDAL airmail 1933

Ken
 

In my opinion, the cover would have been flown by Eurasia Airlines from Berlin to Hong Kong.

If it went via Berlin, it is unlikely that it would have been forwarded to another European city to connect to Imperial Airways.

Ken SAnford

--- In aerophilately@..., DEC wrote:

You might try to find a copy of Eduard Proud's book Intercontinental Airmails Volume Two Asia and Australasia. THis book lists the British, Dutch and French schedules.
I'm not an expert at this and I have not taken the time as yet to look at all the possibilities. The rate is about right and I assume it has an airmail sticker. If Imperial Airways took it
1. Norway to Berlin by train. (the train station postmark)
2. Berlin to Paris by train or DLH (or one of the other IA/DLH connector stops)
3. IA to Rangoon.
4. sea to Hong Kong.

A cover image would help. There should be cachet calling for IA, KLM or Air France.


 
David Crotty


________________________________
From: happyycatty
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:34 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] Norway to Hong Kong via Germany ARENDAL airmail 1933


 
Hi, please help to provide possible route for cover mentioned as below & tell me if U want to have cover image both face & front, thank you.

1) From: Arendal, Norway dated Dec 11, 1933 with Rate: 1Kr45
2) Transit: Sassnitz (Berlin-Sassnitz (Hafen) Bahnpost Zug18*- 13.12.33)
3) Transit: Berlin, Germany dated Dec 13, 1933
4) Arrive: Hong Kong Dec 29, 1933


Re: Norway to Hong Kong via Germany ARENDAL airmail 1933

Henning Jarle Mathiassen
 

This is a somewhat curious letter concerning postage as the airmail fee from Dec 1. 1932 until January 1. 1935 was 160 ore, and you had to add 30 ore standard international postage. Thus an ordinary letter up to 20 grams would cost 190 ore.
 
Then to the routing. According to circular of the Norwegian Post, postal items by airmail should be directed via the French route Marseilles to Saigon. From Saigon the mail was forwarded by boat to Hong Kong. A lot of Norwegian  air mail was sent via Berlin in the 1930ies, to be forwarded to other European destinations. This explains the Berlin postmarks. But I guess the French were getting sloppy concerning air mail letters in transit.
 
Henning Mathiassen
Norway


First Flight Covers

TheGreenTreeFrog <hoyt@...>
 

My father had a large collection of First Flight Covers.
I'm looking to sell the Rarest at auction. A Balbo signed cover. Carried by the General NY To Roma, Also flown Triptich Milano to NY.


Re: First Flight Covers

GreyOldDave
 

The AAMS does have an auction  about 6 times a year. You are welcome to use that. Check out www.americanairmailsociety.com
David Crotty

From: TheGreenTreeFrog
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:14 PM
Subject: [aerophilately] First Flight Covers

 
My father had a large collection of First Flight Covers.
I'm looking to sell the Rarest at auction. A Balbo signed cover. Carried by the General NY To Roma, Also flown Triptich Milano to NY.




Re: First Flight Covers

david steidley
 


One of the advantages of AAMS is that you may sell at auction. Of course anyone may buy.
 
K. David Steidley
Vice-president

----- Original Message -----
From: DEC
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [aerophilately] First Flight Covers

 

The AAMS does have an auction  about 6 times a year. You are welcome to use that. Check out www.americanairmailsociety.com
David Crotty

From: TheGreenTreeFrog <hoyt@...>
To: aerophilately@...
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:14 PM
Subject: [aerophilately] First Flight Covers

 
My father had a large collection of First Flight Covers.
I'm looking to sell the Rarest at auction. A Balbo signed cover. Carried by the General NY To Roma, Also flown Triptich Milano to NY.



1 - 20 of 348