Re: Airmail Rates to Russia in 1941

Bob Watson

Hi Tom

Confession time: I got it wrong. From July 1, 1939 to June 24, 1941 the rate via Atlantic FAM route, and from Europe (whatever route) was 45¢ per ½ ounce, so this was merely a ½-1 ounce letter. It pays to look carefully at the tables!

Regards,

Bob Watson

Sent: Thursday, 30 June 2016 7:23 AM
To: aerophilately@...
Subject: RE: [aerophilately] Airmail Rates to Russia in 1941

All;

Thanks for all the input. So it looks like is 90¢ for triple rate plus 15¢ for registered and 5¢ for Return Receipt. This was mailed 1/30/40. So this was before the rate increase to 70¢ on 6/25/41. There is no tear tab on the back for a return receipt card. I’ve included a scan of the back in case anyone is interested. Thank you for the various book referrals. It appears I have a few more to pick-up. Thank all of you again.

Tom DeSha

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:34 AM
To: aerophilately@...

Hi Tom

I’ve looked this up in Tony Wawrukiewicz’s book on US International Postal Rates. Registration fee at the time was 15¢ and return receipt was 5¢, leaving 90¢ for airmail. Airmail rates to the USSR at the time are found in the “Europe” table on p 137 which were 30¢ per ½ ounce, so this appears to have weighed 1-1½ ounces. Is there any evidence on the back of a return receipt card having been attached?

Bob Watson

Sent: Thursday, 30 June 2016 12:43 AM
To:
aerophilately@...

Thank you David Crotty and John Johnson for the quick reply. I am trying the understand the rate on this cover.

Is it 70¢ postage, 25¢ Registered and 15¢ Return Receipt?

Thanks again

Tom DeSha

Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:47 AM
To:
aerophilately@...
Subject: Re: [aerophilately] Airmail Rates to Russia in 1941

I haven;t actually gotten up from my cup of morning tea to look but I'm sure this is in Tony W's International book. If you don't have access to a copy I could look it up for you. What type of mail do you have?

David Crotty

From: "'Thomas DeSha' tom.desha@... [aerophilately]" <aerophilately@...>
To:
aerophilately@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 12:58 AM
Subject: [aerophilately] Airmail Rates to Russia in 1941

To anyone who can help;

I’ve gone through Boyle’s book on rates during WWII and I cannot find any information on the US rates for International Airmail to USSR in 1941. Can anyone help me out with this information. Internet search hasn’t been helpful either.

Thank you

Tom DeSha

APS 135169

Join Aerophilately@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.