Achromatopsia Support Group Achromatopsia@groups.ioFormer yahoo group: achromatopsia-group
- This discussion forum is for individuals, families, and friends of people affected by the rare vision disorder achromatopsia (sometimes called rod monochromatism) which affects less than 10,000 persons in the United States (about 1 in 30,000). Typical symptoms include severe photophobia (hyper-sensitivity to light), minimal or absent color vision, poor visual acuity, and nystagmus. This is a result of improperly functioning cone photoreceptor cells in the retina. People with complete achromatopsia depend solely on their rod photoreceptor cells, which do not provide color or detail vision, and become saturated by light.
- IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed at The Achromatopsia Group online discussion forum do not constitute expert medical or health care advice, and may periodically contain inaccurate information regarding achromatopsia. Do not rely on any Internet discussion forum for important health care questions, as this is not a substitute for the careful advice and treatment from a professional health care provider or doctor. While discussions on any achromatopsia related issues are encouraged, all users of this forum should carefully consider the impact of their postings. While the purpose of this forum is to facilitate an online meeting place and discussion forum for those affected by achromatopsia, it is important to do so responsibly.
- 545 Members
- 2,895 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to members only.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.