This Year's Field Day Patch

Pete W3WC

What are your plans for Field Day?

Scott

Hey Pete. Hope all is well. Our club decided not to do FD from the club site, and everyone is doing their own thing, then submitting under our club to combine the points. Over the past few months I became very interested in mobile HF (got my Icom 7100 installed in the car) and got a Tarheel 2 screwdriver antenna mounted on it. That led to doing Parks on the Air, and loving it. A couple of weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger on a Yaesu FT-891 and it came in this past Tuesday. What an awesome little radio! It does 100 watts and for RX, I would say it's almost as good as my Icom 7300 in the shack. Also have a Bioenno 20aH battery now too. I made a 40/30/20 Inverted V antenna that has connectors that disconnect if I want to work the other bands. I took it to Sam Lewis State Park today and within 10 minutes I had everything ready to go including the antenna in the tree. In less than an hour I had 45 QSO's. I am putting a 10x10 EZ-Up canopy in my backyard, using the new FT-891, my new antenna, run battery power and do Field Day old school this year. After FD, I plan to get a backpack and start doing Summits on the Air as well. 

What is your FD looking like this year Pete?
73 Scott - KN3A

Pete W3WC

Hey Scott, good to hear from you. 

Congrats on the new rig and on going mobile too! I have started to think about a mobile setup as well.

I hope to put W3RA on the air from here as a 1E, using the generator. I might try to run the amp off the generator too. You lose the 2x power multiplier, but it might be good to see how well the amplifier works this way.

Otherwise, I am still making plans for the KDKA centennial. It has morphed from my original ideas, but hopefully some activities will come together by November. I have learned a lot about early KDKA history that I was not aware of only a year ago. Most of it is about their shortwave activity in Saxonburg during the 1930's. They even had a 400,000 watt transmitter there at one point. It rivals the stories I had heard about WLW in Cincinnati with their 500K transmitter. The Saxonburg shortwave equipment ended up in Hull, Massachusetts at the current site of WBZ. It became part of the Voice of America during World War 2.

Good luck with FD. I will look for you on the air! Look for me too!

Pete W3WC