Re: This Year's Field Day Patch

Pete W3WC

Hey Scott, good to hear from you.

Congrats on the new rig and on going mobile too! I have started to think about a mobile setup as well.

I hope to put W3RA on the air from here as a 1E, using the generator. I might try to run the amp off the generator too. You lose the 2x power multiplier, but it might be good to see how well the amplifier works this way.

Otherwise, I am still making plans for the KDKA centennial. It has morphed from my original ideas, but hopefully some activities will come together by November. I have learned a lot about early KDKA history that I was not aware of only a year ago. Most of it is about their shortwave activity in Saxonburg during the 1930's. They even had a 400,000 watt transmitter there at one point. It rivals the stories I had heard about WLW in Cincinnati with their 500K transmitter. The Saxonburg shortwave equipment ended up in Hull, Massachusetts at the current site of WBZ. It became part of the Voice of America during World War 2.

Good luck with FD. I will look for you on the air! Look for me too!

73
Pete W3WC

Join AVRA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.