ATA Science and Technology Division ATASciTechDiv@groups.io
Science & Technology Mailing List Guidelines
Description/Purpose of the List
"ATASciTechDiv" is the official online mailing list / discussion group for the Science & Technology Division (S&TD) of the American Translators Association (ATA). In addition to lively discussions among S&TD members, the mailing list provides information on annual meetings, newsletters, resources, photos, and a link to the S&TD website.
- By subscribing to the mailing list, you are confirming that you have read and are agreeing to the terms of the mailing list policy.
- The moderator(s) retains the right to unsubscribe members after consulting with the Division administrators if any member(s) engage in misuse or misconduct according to this Policy and the suggested Etiquette below.
- Applicants to the mailing list must apply with full name and status of their membership with the ATA and the S&TD. Failure to renew membership with the ATA and the S&TD is grounds for removal from list membership until membership is renewed.
- If the applicant is a member of the ATA but not a member of the S&TD (or not sure of his or her status), he or she must contact Mr. Jamie Padula, Chapter and Division Relations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The mailing list serves as a forum for sharing ideas and information of interest to colleagues, asking for advice/help related to Science & Technology translation and interpretation, and suggesting new or interesting sources of information related to professional development, special events, and other related topics.
- Specifically prohibited are discussions of rates and matters related thereto as specified in ATA's Policy Statement of March 25, 1990. (Antitrust statement):
- Members who post to the list are required to sign each post with their full name and location.
Mailing list Etiquette
- Cyberspace etiquette shall be observed at all times.
- Flaming, spamming, yelling (ALL CAPS), and other inconsiderate behavior will not be tolerated.
- Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, embarrassing, or illegal material.
- Do not use the ATASciTech list as a vehicle to vent personal disagreements with other members.
- Do not post any material that causes distress or discomfort to any person, entity, product, or service.
- Do not post material that interferes with the ability of others to do business, including the disclosure of information developed solely for a company's conduct of business (trade secrets).
- Do not give out or distribute the contact information of members to any third parties without the consent or approval of the member, and/or the ATASciTechDiv administrators and moderators.
- Do not challenge or attack others. The discussions on the list are meant to stimulate conversation and not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Do not post sales messages. This is spamming.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- No message may be forwarded electronically or otherwise to anyone who is not a subscriber to the ATASciTech list without the originator's permission. In addition, any member forwarding a message should verify the accuracy of the message before posting it to the mailing list.
- Be safe and assume that all material is copyrighted unless the author explicitly states that the material is in the public domain. Do not forward any copyrighted material to the list without express permission from the copyright owner. If you see an item on the web which you think might be of interest to ATASciTechDiv members, forward the URL ONLY. Do not forward the entire item or article to the list.
- Do not send messages with attachments to this mailing list. If the content of your message cannot be contained in the body of the message, offer it to subscribers of the mailing list as a PRIVATE mailing.
- Use the mailing list only if you want to simultaneously reach all subscribers to the mailing list. If you want to reach only few specific members or respond to only the person who posted something to the mailing list, you should respond with a PRIVATE message to that member's email address.
- Use 'Reply' when responding to a posted message. This will maintain the thread on a particular topic. Remember that any of your replies to a message will be sent automatically to everyone on the mailing list.
- Do NOT use 'Reply' when you are raising a different topic. Even if you erase the body and change the "Subject" line, this practice interferes with "threaded" mail and news reader programs used by some members. Instead, create a new message to the list, by sending it to the main address (ATASciTechDiv@groups.io) or using the groups.io web site.
- Include in your replies the relevant part of the message to which you are replying. It is not necessary to repeat the entire original message, but including the relevant section makes it easier to follow threads.
- Messages posted on the mailing list are the individual's responsibility. Neither the S&TD nor the mailing list moderators accept any responsibility for statements made by individual members on the mailing list.
For questions and more information, please contact the moderators of the mailing list by emailing ATASciTechDivemail@example.com.
- 126 Members
- 1,168 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to members only.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.