Topics

ASSL '81: Draft Order &c

Steven Galbraith

Congrats to Silver City for repeating as champions for 1980. John's a very tough owner to compete against. And Kevin/Las Vegas, after a series of disappointing years, has moved to the top of the league. He'll be competing for the next few years.

I'm thinking of having at least 2-3 weeks off before starting the 1981 season. At least two if not more depending on what people want. I assume we'll want to play a full season and not the strike-shortened one? We may want to vote on that or not. Also, a few other suggestions regarding post season play will be proposed. More later.

The1981 Draft Order/Slots are as follows:
1. Hamilton
2. New Orleans
3. Florida
4. Cut and Shoot
5. Cascade
6. Waterloo
7. Polish
8. Valdosta
9. Spokane
10. Mt. Lebanon
11. Cucamonga
12. Seltzer
13. Czech
14. Harpers Ferry
15. Melonville
16. Bayou City
17. Mudville
18. Silver City

Also, I have this tentative list for traded picks for 1981. I believe there are a couple more. I have them listed in a file but, of course, I can't find the file right now.

Valdosta has Mudville's 1st
Mudville has Valdosta's 3rd
Florida has Czech's 1st
Florida has Mudville's 2nd
Mudville has Florida's 4th
Mudville has Harper Ferry's 1st
Cucamonga has Harper Ferry's 2nd

Steve Alvin

Mt. Lebanon will be back and votes for a full season.

Great league, Steve!

Take care,

Steve
---
"I have snatched my share of joy from the grudging hand of fate as I have
jogged along, but never has life held for me anything quite so entrancing as
baseball."--Clarence Darrow

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 2:22 PM Steven Galbraith via groups.io <stevemgalbraith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Chris Strovel (Harpers Ferry Federal Armory)

If we started the draft today, I wouldn't pick until two weeks from now, anyway. ;)

I vote for playing 162.

My rule proposal is to compress the play deadlines so it doesn't take a year to play '81.

==

On May 21, 2020 at 3:22 PM "Steven Galbraith via groups.io" <stevemgalbraith@...> wrote:

[...]

Duane Webster

Cascade votes full season and will return, Somebody needs to finish last

  Thanks Duane

[...]

Mike Eliyas

Polish shall return

[...]

Kevin McNally

Mudville votes for 162 and plans to return.

Confirm the traded/acquired Mudville picks, too.

Playoffs like the NFL.

6 teams (3 division winners, 3 wild card)

Top 2 teams get round 1 bye

Seeded by record

Thanks,

Kevin

Mudville

[...]

Umpy

Seltzer back, and to steal a line from Ernie Banks, let's play 162.  OR something like that.

On May 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM "Chris Strovel (Harpers Ferry Federal Armory)" <strovel@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Heisterkamp

Waterloo is back and votes 162

[...]

Thomas Battiato

Florida also votes for a 162 game season, and confirms that its traded draft picks are correct.

Tom

[...]

Bill P

Cut and Shoot will be back and vote for a 162 game season.

On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 2:22:44 PM CDT, Steven Galbraith via groups.io <stevemgalbraith@...> wrote:

[...]

John Anderson

Bayou City will be back.  Vote for full season.

John Anderson

On May 21, 2020, at 2:22 PM, Steven Galbraith via groups.io <stevemgalbraith@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott Clark

Melonville's back and votes for 162.  I also agree on condensing sked so that we can play over 9-10 months.

Melonville

[...]

Good work Kevin!  That suggested playoff format's much better than our current one!

Melonville

[...]

Kevin,

I agree with your proposal. Please officially submit it to Steve and request a formal vote. "Suggestions" tend to get overlooked in ASSL.

The current system is completely nuts. Whichever team advances to the WS from the first round gets an extra 7-10 days so all its players are rested. The team that advances via the second round will have pitchers, and maybe even players, who are worn out or tired.

It's a very unfair system.

Tom

John Anderson

I agree with Thomas.

John Anderson

On May 21, 2020, at 5:22 PM, Thomas Battiato via groups.io <Dodger300@...> wrote:

Playoffs like the NFL.
6 teams (3 division winners, 3 wild card)
Top 2 teams get round 1 bye
Seeded by record

Kevin,

I agree with your proposal. Please officially submit it to Steve and request a formal vote. "Suggestions" tend to get overlooked in ASSL.

The current system is completely nuts. Whichever team advances to the WS from the first round gets an extra 7-10 days so all its players are rested. The team that advances via the second round will have pitchers, and maybe even players, who are worn out or tired.

It's a very unfair system.

Tom

Bill P

This makes more sense. I agree.

On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 5:22:55 PM CDT, Thomas Battiato via groups.io <dodger300@...> wrote:

Playoffs like the NFL.
6 teams (3 division winners, 3 wild card)
Top 2 teams get round 1 bye
Seeded by record

Kevin,

I agree with your proposal. Please officially submit it to Steve and request a formal vote. "Suggestions" tend to get overlooked in ASSL.

The current system is completely nuts. Whichever team advances to the WS from the first round gets an extra 7-10 days so all its players are rested. The team that advances via the second round will have pitchers, and maybe even players, who are worn out or tired.

It's a very unfair system.

Tom

robert arzberger

Cucamonga will be back and 162 is fine with me.

Cheers, Robert